Help me out here: new to Timmys....

Bucksears

Don't know why, because they've been out forever, but I'm getting the itch to build a Timmy. I have a Lightspeed vero build in the works, then saw a demo comparing THAT to a TImmy, and now GAS it hitting me.
My problem is, I don't know the differences between the Timmys (v1 - 3) and Tim. Can someone sum it up?

Also, I saw the Timbre Man has a mid control added - is that easy to implement/mod in a Timmy?

Thx!

Timmy and Lightspeed are similar I think in that they are pretty "transparent" and are low to mid gain (although both really have a good amount, the Timmy probably more?). Does that sound right everybody? I think, not certain, v1 had the dip switches inside, and v2 moved that function to toggle switch on top. Don't know about v3. Im sure others with definitive info will reply.

One thing - Effects Layouts has a Tim, which is a Timmy with a boost, all in a smaller enclosure than the original Tim.

Also, I saw the Timbre Man has a mid control added - is that easy to implement/mod in a Timmy?
Looking at the Timbre Man schematic, probably, it'd be ripping out R6, R7, and C11 on the Tommy III board and replacing them with Chuck's mid control instead.

Might also look at the Cast Iron, which is mostly a Timmy but with a different take on a mids control

All 3 Timmy versions and Lightspeed are all on Dirtbox Layouts for comparison:

And this post discusses slight differences between Greer's Lightspeed and Southland:

My 2c: The regular Timmy, whatever version, is a great all-round OD. The Tim sounds better to me but not because of the weird boost which doesn't actually boost very much. They are slightly different even without the boost.

But for me the greatest attribute of the Tim/Timmy is how it has been the basis for some of my favourite ODs. The Ibanez/Vemuram TSV808 is very much based on the Timmy and is amazing with a Strat. While I'm not a huge fan of the Lightspeed I can see why a lot of guys are and it's very much a simplified Timmy. If you're interested in tweaking hours can be spent making a Timmy more interesting for your own use.

FWIW (and I have mentioned this before) IMO the Timmy is what happens when you take a Tubescreamer, remove the transistor buffer stages, add a bass control and more diodes for less compression. It's simple and very effective.

Here is a layout for a Tim (without FX loop) if you're interested:

Tim original.png

Back