Synth Fuzz Filters are for Breakfast (Junk Trunk & Gas Tank)

DGWVI

Still on my quest to build every envelope filter I can, so today I built the clones of Chunk Systems' Brown Dog and 00Funk on MadBean's boards. Wired them up so the the Envelope filter is triggered by the clean buffer of the Fuzz, with an FX loop betwixt the two. I did experiment with the FX loop inserted in the clean blend portion of the fuzz, and while nifty, I didn't like that I lost access to that pedal unless the fuzz was engaged.

The footswitches are crooked because I read on an internet forum that one guy heard that if the footswitches are perfectly symmetrical you lose tonez (also the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet)
received_609141787549193.jpeg received_405514005030520.jpeg

This one's a keeper, though. After I wake up a bit more, I'll try to get started on a Demo. The Swarm in the FX Loop is the cat's meow 😻

Nice! I housed mine together as well but also with a flyleaf which I'm starting to regret. Junk/gas has become my favorite and I don't really use the flyleaf like I thought I would. I figured it would be the main envelope and I'd use the junk for wilder fare. Might get redone and separated soon.

The junk/gas combo is interesting to me. I almost didn't try it because I was underwhelmed with the gas tank by itself but it sounds amazing interacting with the filter.

Last edited:
Nice! I housed mine together as well but also with a flyleaf which I'm starting to regret. Junk/gas has become my favorite and I don't really use the flyleaf like I thought I would. I figured it would be the main envelope and if use the junk for wilder fare. Might get redone and separated soon.

The junk/gas combo is interesting to me. I almost didn't try it because I was underwhelmed with the gas tank by itself but it sounds amazing interacting with the filter.
I saw your thread, shame about the Flyleaf, asI'm quite fond of mine. I am debating filling up the extra space in my enclosure with something, just not sure what. Maybe a U-235 or some other octave circuit

I like the Gas Tank, but maybe that's because all my guitars are baritone 🤷‍♂️. Kinda sits in between a Cream Puff and Demo Tape as far as tones go, and the gate is a cool feature. Doesn't get nearly as blown, zippy or grinding as the Burly Bear, but it's not bad by any means. But, I agree, it absolutely rips when used in conjunction with the Junk.

Got the modified Bronx Cheer added. I rarely use standoffs, so of course I don't have any on hand :rolleyes:... The electrical tape and Tayda foam should suffice for now
received_465870582118825.jpeg

Edit - I did try a stripped down Prunes and Custard, but it was underwhelming, and the Cheer gets close enough with way fewer parts and smaller footprint

Last edited:
Great build, love the idea of cramming the Bronx Cheer in there.

For the Flyleaf, 235 gets my vote, that'd be killer. I'm biased though, I really like the 235.

Oh, do you have the Bronx on a toggle or...?

I still need to populate a 235 board, but I will try it out in this box.

The Bronx is not on a toggle. In fact it's got no controls. I have the high/low hardwired for low. What would be the clean blend on the Gas Tank now controls the amount of Bronx Cheer that gets mixed with the gated fuzz

These sound great together! I really need to add a gas tank to my 007.

I'm on the same quest to …
!!!!
The Gas Tank is pretty nifty for a dirt box. Not the most versatile, but you'd be hard pressed to really find any bad tones in it. I'm half tempted to build a standalone to be able to stack it with the one paired with the Junk

As far as the Envelope Quest goes, I think I just have the Snow White, Meatball, Zorg Love Filter, and MXR envelope filters to go. At least as far as the boards I have on hand are concerned.

My faves are still the 00Funk and Minnow, though. Was rocking the Lowballer for a bit, but there was exactly one sound I liked on it, so it got the boot

My faves are still the 00Funk and Minnow, though. Was rocking the Lowballer for a bit, but there was exactly one sound I liked on it, so it got the boot

I remember you mentioning you like the Minnow for its extreme bandpass stuff.

I have the same problem with the Lowballer. The community mods added a lot of extra knobs, most of which do very little. Maybe the simplicity of the original EHX BassBalls was sufficient. I noticed Madbean just released their Promenade: 5 knobs and 1 switch to get one good sound. (For readers who don't know, Robert beat MB to the punch with the Lowballer.)

The Gas Tank is pretty nifty for a dirt box. Not the most versatile, but you'd be hard pressed to really find any bad tones in it. I'm half tempted to build a standalone to be able to stack it with the one paired with the Junk

That's an exciting idea. Will both Gas Tanks' clean signal feed the 007 envelope? Or does that make no sense?

As far as the Envelope Quest goes, I think I just have the Snow White, Meatball, Zorg Love Filter, and MXR envelope filters to go. At least as far as the boards I have on hand are concerned.

I know Mentaltossflycon is also on an EnvelopeQuest. (y) Possibly BettyWont as well. Anyone else obsessively building every envelope filter? We should form a club and compare notes. :)

Do you recommend the Snow White or the MXR to someone who already has 6 envelope filters?
I'm finding they mostly do the same basic tricks—with very subtle differences.

But damn, that Zorg Love Philter looks intriguing for its Q knob and mix knob.

I remember you mentioning you like the Minnow for its extreme bandpass stuff.

I have the same problem with the Lowballer. The community mods added a lot of extra knobs, most of which do very little. Maybe the simplicity of the original EHX BassBalls was sufficient. I noticed Madbean just released their Promenade: 5 knobs and 1 switch to get one good sound. (For readers who don't know, Robert beat MB to the punch with the Lowballer.)
Yeah, the Minnow does what it does really well, but I'm finding I much prefer LPF envelopes.

Haven't looked at the Promenade schem yet, but I assume it's at least almost identical to the Lowballer. Maybe others can find more tones in that family, but for me, the dirty quick decay is really the only sound that appeals to me out of it
That's an exciting idea. Will both Gas Tanks' clean signal feed the 007 envelope? Or does that make no sense?
Oh, no. Just the one Gas Tank...
Though, I am considering another build with two Junk Trunks in Parallel, fed by the same clean input :sneaky:
I know Mentaltossflycon is also on an EnvelopeQuest. (y) Possibly BettyWont as well. Anyone else obsessively building every envelope filter? We should form a club and compare notes. :)
Im down for this. I have an almost unhealthy desire for envelope filters :ROFLMAO:
Do you recommend the Snow White or the MXR to someone who already has 6 envelope filters?
I'm finding they mostly do the same basic tricks—with very subtle differences.

But damn, that Zorg Love Philter looks intriguing for its Q knob and mix knob.

I haven't built (or played) the Snow White yet, but from demos I've watched, it seems to sit somewhere between a MuTron III and the 00Funk.
And, it's been about ten years since I built the TonePad MXR, and honestly don't remember it much other than not really caring for it at the time.

As for the Zorg, I really dig the demos, and those knobs as you said do make it enticing. I still need to get that one built up, though

I did the snow white a while back and it's nice. Definitely its own thing when comparing with the junk trunk and mutron types. I've seen people describe it as being the most wah like of the popular envelopes. I liked the sound of mutron style better but felt like the snow white was more happy accepting dirt pedals in front. Junk trunk is the favorite for now but I haven't built the zorg. I'll wait for @DGWVI to post a report on that.

As for the lowballer, I agree that it's a one sound pedal but the sound I like isn't "knobs at noon" so it doesn't feel like a waste of time to me. It's just a fun enhancement to a circuit that's pretty much a toy anyway.

Oh, no. Just the one Gas Tank...
Though, I am considering another build with two Junk Trunks in Parallel, fed by the same clean input :sneaky:

Oh, TWO Junk Trunks in parallel? Wow. That sounds unique—possibly something no one's tried before.
I can imagine two different sweeps at different speeds in different ranges contrasting with each other. Could be super cool.

I'm down for this. I have an almost unhealthy desire for envelope filters :ROFLMAO:

OK cool. I'll do a full shoot-out when I finally stop building.
Betty Wont suggested the Batwing. Since there are no audio demos of the Batwing, I gotta build one to find out, right?

Batwing Build Docs said:
Finding settings on the Batwing takes some experimentation. … Once you get it dialed in, the filter is excellent. This may be in part due to the bi-polar power, which most modern envelopes do not utilize. I think ditching the internal buffers of the OTA and replacing them with JFETs also helped with the very focused tone it produces.

I dunno. That "very focused tone" could be the "Laser Gun" effect that I find unpleasant. I will know soon enough.

As for the Zorg, I really dig the demos, and those knobs as you said do make it enticing. I still need to get that one built up, though

I don't like going outside the Big Two: PedalPCB and MadBean. But that Zorg might be worth going outside my comfort zone.
That single-sided PCB though... :rolleyes: The simplicity of PedalPCB boards have spoiled me lately.

I did the snow white a while back and it's nice. Definitely its own thing when comparing with the junk trunk and mutron types. …

As for the lowballer, I agree that it's a one sound pedal but the sound I like isn't "knobs at noon" so it doesn't feel like a waste of time to me. It's just a fun enhancement to a circuit that's pretty much a toy anyway.

Good point about the LowBaller; one trick pony doesn't mean it can't use some adjusting to get the trick just right.

I might have to try the SnowWhite if it's "definitely its own thing." Do you remember where you got the PCB from? Delyk?

Oh, TWO Junk Trunks in parallel? Wow. That sounds unique—possibly something no one's tried before.
I can imagine two different sweeps at different speeds in different ranges contrasting with each other. Could be super cool.

OK cool. I'll do a full shoot-out when I finally stop building.
Betty Wont suggested the Batwing. Since there are no audio demos of the Batwing, I gotta build one to find out, right?

I dunno. That "very focused tone" could be the "Laser Gun" effect that I find unpleasant. I will know soon enough.

I don't like going outside the Big Two: PedalPCB and MadBean. But that Zorg might be worth going outside my comfort zone.
That single-sided PCB though... :rolleyes: The simplicity of PedalPCB boards have spoiled me lately.

Good point about the LowBaller; one trick pony doesn't mean it can't use some adjusting to get the trick just right.

I might have to try the SnowWhite if it's "definitely its own thing." Do you remember where you got the PCB from? Delyk?
I think it's a fuzz dog but it's been a few years now. 7 of dwarves I think they call it.

Back