What's under your bench...

fig

Village Idiot
...or why they are called "stool".

At least the word is synonymous with the crap I've found myself with.

I try to maintain a positive attitude about things, so I'll have Donnie mark this one as a "you gotta laugh at yourself".

A few years back, my wife had bought me a butcher block & chrome swivel stool, but my son liked it so much I gave it to him (no padding but a great stool). A few years pass and one day I realize I'm using an antique child's chair to both play guitar and build guitar pedals. Forest / trees...you get the picture.
First thought - you know it RocknRoll stool. Fender, perfect. I order a nice padded swivel stool with a big 'ol F where da butt go.
It arrives (by the way...shipping is terrible on stools). One leg is literally (I measured) 1" shorted than the others. Booooo!

Naturally, that threw off balance a bit....so I went back to the interweb for an alternative bum-buddy. See, I was actually groovy with the little chair but now it was a full-blown quest (some might use the word obsession) so I burned the chair to make certain I never returned to complacency! Okay, not really...but I metaphorically burned it to a crisp so...

Dewalt. Yup, I figured since I owned nearly every black and yellow gizmo known to man, I'd adore their matching pooter-perch. Let's recap my first purchase and see if perhaps I might should have gleaned something from the experience:

Need - Stool
Fender - musical instrument company.
Result - Failure

Did I see the connection there? Nope, blind as a bat and dumb as a bag of rocks.

Need - Stool
DeWalt - Tool company
Result - Failure

Guess what? It turns out that when you want promotional items manufactured you farm it out to folks who have have a business doing what they have no business doing. This one has a hydraulic cylinder. It pops with the slightest movement and when it does it jars my entire body. I thought about welding it, but I know it wouldn't take a tack, let alone a bead.

What's under your bench? I need some guidance and every one of you sit on something....

18185501.jpg
It’s what I had in the basement at the time and it stuck:

It says 24" tall...is that to the step/seat or the top of the handrail? That might work if tall enough. (of course I was using a kid's chair so...)

Last edited:
It says 24" tall...is that to the step/seat or the top of the handrail? That might work if tall enough. (of course I was using a kid's chair so...)

I would say top of the handrail. I’m due for a chair. Probably a cheap padded folding chair from Lowe’s.

My "Bench" is an old table we no longer use and my Chair is just a cheap padded folding chair from a card table
I have one folding chair. I used it in the abyss (formally my building)...I think it's one we bought at a flea market around 1982 for a quarter. It appears to be a circa 1960-ish card table (some padding left) type. Not sure I'd trust the bottom anymore. It was pretty flimsy back then as I recall. But a great little chair!

I have a couple of these, got em from Walmart. (24" variety)

f0539dee-18ba-4642-bbce-c3599962d324_1.3196566acccb55bb8cfcda10cca0b03e.jpeg
We had 3 of these under our DIY counter space when we built the house in '89. Perfect for the kids homework, crafts, cereal eating, etc. The entire L countertop (complete with 4" PVC support leg) was eventually moved to the abyss when we had added room to the house. I cut the legs down on one of the stools for someone's kid and another for my M-I-L who wanted it to put a plant on. The 3rd came unglued a few times and was deemed unsafe. The seat became a flower pot coaster, and I threw the rest into a fire pit while burning some brush. Most of the finish had long worn off so no nasty fumes. I still have the cut pieces from the legs. I've used them for all sorts of things, including an incense holder. Real imaginative there...drill some 1/8" holes in a chunk of wood...brilliant!

I just have a 13 gallon rubber made kitchen trash can Turned up side down🤣.... it was going to be temporary but it’s the perfect height and not uncomfortable.... who would of thought
Now that's a different approach! I couldn't count the number of times I've used a 5-gallon bucket as a chair, but I never was one to think big! 13 gal you say...honey, where's the garbage can?

One of my other hobbies is woodworking. A few years ago a co-worker, who had a farm, gave me a very large oak board he harvested from a tree on his property years ago. Long story short as an ode to origin of this tree I made a tractor seat stool. It has become my pedal making stool.
64E207C2-D89F-4175-9651-499412277FC9.jpeg BB018770-2D96-4998-BD58-E23CC7FB908C.jpeg 9FC4C97E-EBA8-49EA-A4F8-D8A508F699BD.jpeg

The tractor seat stool is awesome! I have pretty much the same deal is PedalPCB but mine has white legs and has been glued and screwed together so many times I'm amazed it has the capacity to fall apart but it still does. Luckily it hasn't collapsed with me on it, or it would be in the fireplace.

Reactions: fig
One of my other hobbies is woodworking. A few years ago a co-worker, who had a farm, gave me a very large oak board he harvested from a tree on his property years ago. Long story short as an ode to origin of this tree I made a tractor seat stool. It has become my pedal making stool.
View attachment 16659View attachment 16658View attachment 16660
Wow, that's nice! It also gives me an idea (then again most things do)...I was going to make a nice table from a longboard deck I have signed by Ryan Knoll. I remembered I have 2 of those, a 60" which I had in mind for the table....but also a ~30"...I'll check it out. If not that one, I have a plethora of decks.

Wow, that's nice! It also gives me an idea (then again most things do)...I was going to make a nice table from a longboard deck I have signed by Ryan Knoll. I remembered I have 2 of those, a 60" which I had in mind for the table....but also a ~30"...I'll check it out. If not that one, I have a plethora of decks.
Thank you and also nice. Building stuff is awesome. Good luck on your table build.

Reactions: fig
I was using a discarded office chair, adjustable, the kind that slowly sinks and you have to pump it up back to full height every half-hour or so;

Then I moved to a dining room table chair (and a repurposed dining table to work on) — most uncomfortable butt-numbing chair ever;

Now I have nothing... need to set up a temp solder-station location before setting up something permanent. Took The Great Leap Backward in time/space, waiting to see what new digs will be dug up...

I might snag my Dad's old piano stool and his draughting table...

My childhood desk chair as my work space is my childhood desk. The cushion had long since deteriorated so I also sit on and old reject bed pillow. Someday when my kid gets my desk, I'll upgrade to something a little more functional

I was using a discarded office chair, adjustable, the kind that slowly sinks and you have to pump it up back to full height every half-hour or so;

Then I moved to a dining room table chair (and a repurposed dining table to work on) — most uncomfortable butt-numbing chair ever;

Now I have nothing... need to set up a temp solder-station location before setting up something permanent. Took The Great Leap Backward in time/space, waiting to see what new digs will be dug up...

I might snag my Dad's old piano stool and his draughting table...
I can picture you all settled into the new workspace, ready to go!

dexters-laboratory.jpg

Back