PedalPCB footswitch wiring

mybud

Hi collective wisdom: I notice that PPCB tends to wire the footswitch in a manner new to me, as follows:

The board input (terminal 1) is always wired to the middle bottom terminal (terminal 6), unlike some other wiring schemes I've seen.

GuitarPCB, for instance, doesn't do it this way.

Is there some good reason for this? For instance, does it minimise or eliminate switch pop?

Thanks for your time as always.

Reactions: fig
Grounding the input in bypass eliminates the need for an input pulldown resistor (although the majority of the projects still have one), but more importantly reduces the chances of signal bleed when the pedal is in bypass.

Effects that self-oscillate (like the Fuzz Foundry or a delay with the feedback cranked up) have a tendency to bleed noise into the signal path when the circuit is bypassed. Grounding the PCB input in bypass prevents this in a lot of cases.

Grounding the input in bypass eliminates the need for an input pulldown resistor (although the majority of the projects still have one), but more importantly reduces the chances of signal bleed when the pedal is in bypass.

Effects that self-oscillate (like the Fuzz Foundry or a delay with the feedback cranked up) have a tendency to bleed noise into the signal path when the circuit is bypassed. Grounding the PCB input in bypass prevents this in a lot of cases.
Thanks, both accounts make a lot of sense. Appreciated as ever.

On my muffin pcbs I've built, I replaced the 1m pulldown resistor with a 100pf cap for a little more noise filtering since the pulldown resistor would be redundant.

Back