Folk Fuzz De-Luxe!

G.G.

Hi Folks,
Chuck D Bones graciously posted his layout for his iteration of the BJFE Folk Fuzz with switching options between LEDs, silicon, and transistor clipping (which in my version is germanium diode clipping). It's a pretty nice sound and a little different than the usual tonebenders and fuzzfaces. I hadn't used these enclosed jacks before and encountered kind of a ship-in-a-bottle moment trying to get them both in. 😅 Thanks Chuck, definitely worth a build!

8iMBNAt.jpg
e9kTwBJ.jpg

oh my god this color is beautiful, I'm also a sucker for clear knobs
Not 100% sure but I think I got the powdercoated 1590B from Small Bear in their clearance section for $3.75. I thought it would be like the Tayda Lawn Green (which I really like) but it's very chartreuse which is cool too. I think they still have them (Light Green) https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/taiwanese-b-colors/
edit: looks like the still have a bunch, but currently no way to order. :-/
yeah I love the way the LEDs look thru clear knobs, can't stop myself from using them.

Not 100% sure but I think I got the powdercoated 1590B from Small Bear in their clearance section for $3.75. I thought it would be like the Tayda Lawn Green (which I really like) but it's very chartreuse which is cool too. I think they still have them (Light Green) https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/taiwanese-b-colors/
edit: looks like the still have a bunch, but currently no way to order. :-/
yeah I love the way the LEDs look thru clear knobs, can't stop myself from using them.
Small bear exists again? I thought synthcube just bought out their remaining inventory

yeah looks like that's what was left when synthcube paused the web site.

I really like that technique you used for the border- super cool.
I did that, not on purpose, while sanding away the clear coat of an enclosure that had a bad waterslide decal.
It looks really good with the aluminum contrasting with the powder coating, even more so here with that green!

Sweet! Nice job GG. Love the chickenhead knob with the numbered faceplate. I too am digging the sanded border.

Is this board on the Wish List? 'Cause if it isn't, it outta be!

Experiment to taste, it is the way. This circuit is pretty forgiving for T1 & T2, Bjorn Juhl designed it that way purposefully. feel free to mix and match. Check my breadboard article here. Experiment with the diodes too.

Experiment to taste, it is the way. This circuit is pretty forgiving for T1 & T2, Bjorn Juhl designed it that way purposefully. feel free to mix and match. Check my breadboard article here. Experiment with the diodes too.
I auditioned MP38As and GT404s before going with some AC127s that gave a little more sauce with pinch harmonics and whatnot. They all sounded pretty good and would have worked well even with just my random selections. I kind of regret not trying out transistor clippers like the original, would be curious to hear the difference.

Back