Hot air gun for SMD work?

JamieJ

Anyone ever used a hot air gun for solder paste reflowing with SMD stencils?

@fig has got me tempted with his fancy oven but I’m not sure I’m ready for that level of commitment just yet.

I quite enjoy watching Dave Jones on EEVblog and saw that he has done it with some success -

I wondered if any of you guys and gals had had a go?

I've got one. It works pretty well. The temp and air-flow are programmable.

PzprXKe.jpg

LRW84qT.jpg

The tips slip on/off and are simply deflector-type. It came with angle head, larger & smaller opening.

I seen a few videos of people doing SMD in a regular toaster oven with a stencil. There is a device that controls the current into the oven by measuring the temp with a thermal couple.

I use one of these el cheapos had it about 5 years

I've probably used it more for desoldering pots and switches tbh

Built 1 complete SMD pedal, repaired about 5 and done numerous FET and IC adaptor boards that's about it

Never used a stencil if I'm just soldering FETs or ICs to adaptor boards I use this LED hotplate

POHOVE PTC Heating-Soldering... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XJGJN59?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Make sure if you get one you put it on something heatproof the feet heat up unless you get one with heatproof feet

Coupla things, with paste you need to give it a little stir to make it easier to apply

I've found even using the nozzle it's hard to get it on the pads, it's pretty forgiving if you put big blobs on they usually get sucked into the pads, if you watch @Darrencp video youll see he just whacks it on

If you go for the hot air station make sure your fan speed is set low or you'll blow your components everywhere

I was super careful initially but bear in mind SMD FETs ICs etc have the same or sometimes greater temperature ratings than their trough hole cousins

It's not that difficult to do especially if yer eyesights good unlike mine you'll actually see the paste turn silver as it melts

I wonder if you could use that hotplate to solder SMD transistors directly to a larger PCB? For example the Brownout OD (Subdecay Variac) has pads for SMD Jfets. Could I use the method in the clip above to solder SMD Jfets to that board? I have no experience with SMD at all - I have always imagined that it would end in tears for me. My hands are relatively steady and my eyesight (with glasses!) is pretty good.

I wonder if you could use that hotplate to solder SMD transistors directly to a larger PCB? For example the Brownout OD (Subdecay Variac) has pads for SMD Jfets. Could I use the method in the clip above to solder SMD Jfets to that board? I have no experience with SMD at all - I have always imagined that it would end in tears for me. My hands are relatively steady and my eyesight (with glasses!) is pretty good.
That will work fine. Just do them before soldering any other components. ;)

Anyone ever used a hot air gun for solder paste reflowing with SMD stencils?

@fig has got me tempted with his fancy oven but I’m not sure I’m ready for that level of commitment just yet.

I quite enjoy watching Dave Jones on EEVblog and saw that he has done it with some success -

I wondered if any of you guys and gals had had a go?
That's funny, I just found the EEVBlog on YouTube and was watching his video comparing the Fluke DMM's and the Ryzen? Bryzen? something like that. Been thinking about upgrading from my Home Depot DMM......Not sure I want to drop the coin for a Fluke though....

Edit: That should be the "Brymen" BM786

I tried Dan's method with the cheap heat gun a few weeks ago. I soldered 3 PT2399s and a few FETs. Worked well.

I put the PCB in an enclosure lid and heated it on my regular work bench, which was a mistake. It heats up the whole PCB pretty good, so, you need a pretty big heat sink. Maybe I'll try a cooking rack or something next time.

I use one of these el cheapos had it about 5 years

I've probably used it more for desoldering pots and switches tbh

Built 1 complete SMD pedal, repaired about 5 and done numerous FET and IC adaptor boards that's about it

Never used a stencil if I'm just soldering FETs or ICs to adaptor boards I use this LED hotplate

POHOVE PTC Heating-Soldering... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XJGJN59?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Make sure if you get one you put it on something heatproof the feet heat up unless you get one with heatproof feet

Coupla things, with paste you need to give it a little stir to make it easier to apply

I've found even using the nozzle it's hard to get it on the pads, it's pretty forgiving if you put big blobs on they usually get sucked into the pads, if you watch @Darrencp video youll see he just whacks it on

If you go for the hot air station make sure your fan speed is set low or you'll blow your components everywhere

I was super careful initially but bear in mind SMD FETs ICs etc have the same or sometimes greater temperature ratings than their trough hole cousins

It's not that difficult to do especially if yer eyesights good unlike mine you'll actually see the paste turn silver as it melts
I use that same hot plate, it's works well

Yes, I've done just the transistors on a couple of boards

Back