Caesar!

DAJE

Anyway, I was half expecting to be posting a Troubleshooting thread, but it worked first try. Always nice when that happens.

I've socketed the red LEDs, and I have a pair of 2.2 uF tantalum caps to try in their place when I feel like it. No other mods.

The chips, though: I bought a somewhat expensive pair of chips; a Coolaudio 3207 & NOS Belling 3102. But I also, as a cheap gamble, bought a set of 5 each 3102s & 3207s from a Chinese eBay seller. Only about $5 for the lot so not a big loss if they're bollocks.

They're not. All 5 x 3207s and 4 out of 5 3102s work. It's possible the dud 3102 will work with some tweaking of the trimmer, but I didn't mess around too much because I wanted to finish up and try the pedal properly.

So, I now have a working Caesar pedal and at least F O U R sets of spare chippers.

I have a pair of the Chinese eBay chips in there now (pic 2), I couldn't hear any difference in my admittedly quick test. I might try comparing them properly at some later date.

How's it sound? Pretty damn good. Some nice swirlyness if you want subtlety, and some enjoyably weird wonkyness if you turn everything up too far.

Attachments

• CR1.jpg
    CR1.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 24
  • CR2.jpg
    CR2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 24
  • CR3.jpg
    CR3.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 25
  • CR4.jpg
    CR4.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 22
Nice, I have been playing the Ali gamble a little with ICs lately, and have been having good results.

Nice, I have been playing the Ali gamble a little with ICs lately, and have been having good results.
Most of the bits and pieces I've got through AliEx have been fine. I did buy a bag of uselessly out-of-spec 5457s, though. Even so, at those prices I'm not too worried about the occasional loss.

Reactions: fig
Link for the eBay seller I got the ICs from

They got to me (in Australia) in about a month, too, which is pretty fast for 2022. Luckily they must have come from somewhere that isn't locked down.

NOTE: 90% of these chips from this seller worked for me, but I make no promises that you'll get similar results. Or any results. But it's well worth the gamble IMO.

Nice build! I just finished this one up myself last night, and it fired up first try for me as well. I might have to buy some chips from that seller as well, as $6 a pop for those 3207s isn't sustainable for my wallet haha

Still one of my favorite chorus pedals. Was surprised when I paired it up with an actual Julia. Sounded identical. It's not quite as "in your face" as other chorus pedals...but that's the beauty of it. It sounds more natural and musical to me.

Another very bluetiful build.

Thanks for posting about the CCChips.
I bought some CCChips from TaoBao, and I've got some legit chips to compare — your build and experience with the CCChips bodes well for me.

Back