Stuff

Warning: This post contains NON-PEDAL CONTENT!

Man, the last week has been kooky. Okay, so the last 2 years or so have been also, but its been a little extra here. My daughter was in a pretty bad auto accident but was not injured badly. A young man ā€˜under the influenceā€™ made a poor decision (as often is done while ā€˜under the influenceā€™) to operate a vehicle and decided stop signs were optional or oppressive. Unfortunately, he did not fare so well. He was taken to emergency and she has not heard anymore on his condition. Please give your keys to ANY dangerous equipment to a loved one before partaking. Why? Because I said so!

I was able to finish the Electrovibe Mini and the Arachnid (at least to my satisfactionā€¦screw the critics).

Iā€™ve been reading about Helium mining (from what I can tell itā€™s a real ā€˜gasā€™) and picked up a LoRaWAN router and a few sensors to check it out. Iā€™ll post some pictures and more info on that In case anyone has an interestā€¦..or knows more than me and can help me out. :ROFLMAO: I hope to get a full weather station as well as possibly rolling my own sensors for a greater purpose.

Iā€™m mostly retired but recently we were approached by a group in the UK to assist with some environmental regulatory issues. Most of W. Europe follow US guidelines have similar legislation in place, so itā€™s a fairly level playing field. Look out @JamieJ , et al, I may be headed your way :oops:. Then I can join in bitching about shipping costs/times, hold contests that exclude the US, and maybe even acquire a really groovy accent.šŸ˜

Onward into the fog!

Man, the last week has been kooky. Okay, so the last 2 years or so have been also, but its been a little extra here. My daughter was in a pretty bad auto accident but was not injured badly. A young man ā€˜under the influenceā€™ made a poor decision (as often is done while ā€˜under the influenceā€™) to operate a vehicle and decided stop signs were optional or oppressive. Unfortunately, he did not fare so well. He was taken to emergency and she has not heard anymore on his condition. Please give your keys to ANY dangerous equipment to a loved one before partaking. Why? Because I said so!

I was able to finish the Electrovibe Mini and the Arachnid (at least to my satisfactionā€¦screw the critics).

Iā€™ve been reading about Helium mining (from what I can tell itā€™s a real ā€˜gasā€™) and picked up a LoRaWAN router and a few sensors to check it out. Iā€™ll post some pictures and more info on that In case anyone has an interestā€¦..or knows more than me and can help me out. :ROFLMAO: I hope to get a full weather station as well as possibly rolling my own sensors for a greater purpose.

Iā€™m mostly retired but recently we were approached by a group in the UK to assist with some environmental regulatory issues. Most of W. Europe follow US guidelines have similar legislation in place, so itā€™s a fairly level playing field. Look out @JamieJ , et al, I may be headed your way :oops:. Then I can join in bitching about shipping costs/times, hold contests that exclude the US, and maybe even acquire a really groovy accent.šŸ˜

Onward into the fog!
Sorry to hear about the accident! Iā€™m glad your daughter is ok.

Dear @fig sorry about your daughter but glad she's ok.

If you every wind up in Krakow hit me up: we'll have a non-alcoholic tantalum nightcap!

And now story time:

I have in my time driven under the influence a couple of times. This was back in the 90s when cops would just tell you to drive carefully of they caught you.
Once, after dinner with friends (I was in Italy so we drank a lot of wine) I set out to drive home in my red Fiat Panda. Actually I woke up in the middle of an intersection (fortunately empty), my car at 45 degrees across. It scared me so much I sobered up immediately and drove home very slowly. Never did it again.

Wait, there's worse. Once I pulled an all nighter while working as an interior designer. No alcohol and no coffee. In the morning I had to drive my boss to the train station and I kept falling asleep at the wheel, with him prodding me to hurry up. Never drove again after a sleepless night.

Be careful out there and don't be me.

Onward into the fog!
really glad your daughter is OK and ideally the driving-while-impaired person survives and takes away a valuable lesson.

• Love
Reactions: fig
Good to hear that your daughter is doing alright. If you end up in Europe, you can find some rare electronic parts.

• Love
Reactions: fig

Onward into the fog!
Iā€™m a little behind on the whatā€™s goings ons with this thread so first, holy crap! Iā€™m really glad your daughter is ok from that collision šŸ˜Æ.

Secondly, I got a little excited about the helium thing thinking it was about mining the actual gas. I was gonna go on a long diatribe about how itā€™s extracted from the earths crust through natural gas wells blah blah blah. Iā€™ve been working in the gas business for 25 years blah blah blah. Our nationā€™s largest helium reserve is near Amarillo Texas blah blah blahā€¦. Turns out, that helium miner is some kinda network thing-a-ma-do-hickeyšŸ˜‘!? Thatā€™s false advertisement I tell yašŸ˜‚!

In all seriousness though. Happy to hear you and yours are doing well.

Iā€™m a little behind on the whatā€™s goings ons with this thread so first, holy crap! Iā€™m really glad your daughter is ok from that collision šŸ˜Æ.

Secondly, I got a little excited about the helium thing thinking it was about mining the actual gas. I was gonna go on a long diatribe about how itā€™s extracted from the earths crust through natural gas wells blah blah blah. Iā€™ve been working in the gas business for 25 years blah blah blah. Our nationā€™s largest helium reserve is near Amarillo Texas blah blah blahā€¦. Turns out, that helium miner is some kinda network thing-a-ma-do-hickeyšŸ˜‘!? Thatā€™s false advertisement I tell yašŸ˜‚!

In all seriousness though. Happy to hear you and yours are doing well.
Iā€™d have enjoyed it, as the shortage had a direct impact on me a few years ago. I think Iā€™ve told you that I was in the dinosaur industry for a few moons. Anyway, one of our services was underground pipeline leak locating using helium as a medium. It was fun..weā€™d walk along the path humming and when we went falsetto we knew that we were close. :ROFLMAO: Actually, we used a helium measurement device to pinpoint the highest concentration of the escaping gas.
The trucks also carried large SS Ni ā€œdoersā€ to pressurize the ullage of USTs for leak-testing, as well as small Ni gas cylinders (I still have one, somewhere). We used a large gas supplier located in TX ;) Man those SS lines get frosty when you crank up the flow!

Oopsā€¦diatribe.

Back