MadBean Total Recall

fig

Village Idiot
About a year ago, I was talking with @thewintersoldier about building the MB version of the EHX Deluxe Memory Man. He sent me a wonderful enclosure to house it in. Thanks Chris 😘 I finally got around to putting it together and I am so glad that I did. It’s a really nice analog effect that I believe is worth the effort and expense required to build it.

It runs on -24vdc which was supplied by my bench PSU for testing. I bought a wall wart for normal use. Calibration was pretty easy by ear, but I’m tempted to check out the scope method just for the experience. I build pedals to play and to learn something outside my knowledge base. Hanging out with you groovy people puts the little umbrella in the drink ;)

Here are some pictures. If I could play something worth listening to I’d definitely post it here.

udAtW4W.jpg

XDkaBqM.jpg

k3xZ9RG.jpg

Thanks for reading!

That's killer! Those guts are sexy! Wait, that sounds like something a serial killer would say :oops: .......You know what I mean.

Biasing the BBDs with the scope isn't very hard and I believe a lot better. You can get it pretty good by ear but for the maximum headroom go with the scope.

turned out great Tim, delay is the best and the DMM is the crème de la crème of analog delay. @Harry Klippton if ever in doubt as to what to play on a delay pedal, just go into full on runaway oscillations and make spaceship sounds, there is a song by the Matthew Good Band called Hello Time Bomb where the guitar solo is just oscillations, it's perfect.

Sounds about right. When I’m at a loss for wacky shit to do, I just do volume swells and step on the instant oscillation switch on the El-Cap!

Sounds like an awesome pedal. Only thing that turns me off is the wall wart requirement. 🤪

You could always construct an I/O box for power.

My current board plan has an IEC input on the maple backplate that feeds into a 1590B mounted on the backside of the wood without its backplate on.

Since my cheap Otraki supplies are being fed from a LM2596 regulator, I’m going to disassemble a 24 vDC, 3A Wall wart and Mount it inside the I/O box.

The box will then have a 120 vAC pass through IEC plug for my Truetone CS-7, and a DC jack feeding 18 vDC to my power supplies.

You could always do the same for pedals with special adapters. Just take it out of the wall wart and make an adapter box.

• Love
Reactions: fig
I absolutely love the "junk drawer" of parts in this. This is the real REAL mojo 😽. I fantasize that I'm an electron that gets to transglobally and temporally traverse your tidy timepiece through thoroughly thought out thoroughfares.

That looks as intimidating a build as I imagined it to be:) I looked at that at the MB site and he's got it rated TWO whole levels above "Cowboy".

I think I'm gonna wait til I have a bit more experience before attempting it.

Having said that, I agree with @thewintersoldier, the DMM is the chiznitz when it comes to analog delays. (Actually TWO DMM's is Uber Chiznits:))
Not to hot on the power requirements. Maybe @PedalPCB will come up with a more builder friendly version?

You could always construct an I/O box for power.

My current board plan has an IEC input on the maple backplate that feeds into a 1590B mounted on the backside of the wood without its backplate on.

Since my cheap Otraki supplies are being fed from a LM2596 regulator, I’m going to disassemble a 24 vDC, 3A Wall wart and Mount it inside the I/O box.

The box will then have a 120 vAC pass through IEC plug for my Truetone CS-7, and a DC jack feeding 18 vDC to my power supplies.

You could always do the same for pedals with special adapters. Just take it out of the wall wart and make an adapter box.
I'm gonna haze ya a bit...cause it's fun! LOL!

So....I have to build yet another box for an already big enough box? :p

Also, you should see the underside of my pedalboard. One main power supply with another smaller power supply extension. A USB hub. A Source Audio hub. A 5-port patch bay along with a smaller 2-port through box. I've got a bit more room under there for some really small stuff...but probably not enough for an I/O box.

That said, if I really wanted to, I could use a power adapter that uses two 12v spots on a power supply to make one 24v connection...but that's two spots used up for one silly pedal. Nope!

Then again, I could just get another power supply extension. I'm using Voodoo power supplies and use one of their 4-port extensions...which could easily be used for this sort of thing. Super small and does a fine job. :D

• Haha
Reactions: fig
Back