Pendulum Harmonic Tremolo

MichaelW

When I built my Son of Ben Preamp a while back my first thought when playing through it the first time was "wow, this would sound great with a harmonic trem!"

I've mentioned before that my impression of Son of Ben with the gain cranked and the voice knob around noon is very "brown face deluxe-ish", which of course comes with a built in vibrato. One of amps I've been lusting after is the Suhr Hombre which is John Suhr's take on these amps. Somewhere in between a Tweed and Blackface with a proto-Plexi quality to it when cranked.

Anyways, back to the Pendulum, I ordered the board and started reading the build reports and mods and all that. After some amount of debate, I decided to just build it stock first then see if I wanted to incorporate any of the mods. I mean, I don't know what I don't know.

I dunno, I really dig it the way it is. I read @airvian's post about his mix mod which sounds interesting but I'm not sure I really need it for how I would use this. Actually, I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm going to use it. I tend to hear pedals in the context of "songs" and I'm drawing a blank right now.
I've also read some of the comments on how it can sound "phaser-ish". I can definitely hear a bit of that but I kinda think it's cool.

I think I'll just go make some noise until inspiration hits:)

I got these enclosures as "B Stock Closeouts" from SmallBear. I think it was supposed to be "red" but it's more in the "pink-fuschia" spectrum. (Maybe that's why they were being blown out?)
IMG_3001.jpg

This was a "whoopsie". I was in the garage drilling the enclosure, my wife stuck her head in and asked me a question. Like any good husband that has learned the deep secrets of a happy marriage, I stopped what I was doing to answer her. Of course I got distracted and when I went back to drill the next center punch I started drilling a blemish instead of the center punch......duhhhhh........I'll be looking through my wife's nail polish for something to match to fill in the....uuuuhm.....extra "ornamentation"

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Here's another @fig-ism that I've borrowed. Using buss wire for off board wiring. Super convenient.

IMG_2998.JPG

Last edited:
I started reading the OP and ended up reading about the Suhr Hombre. I’ve had a Magnatone Twilighter in my cart since before I bought the blackface (super sweet amp), but now it may have to stay there awhile….I blame you sir, and like any good husband I’ll project that blame when my wife asks about the new “box” in the lab. :ROFLMAO:

The build looks great Michael, and I know it’s sounding that way with you at the other end of the cable. (y)

I’m liking the pink pimple idea Will. Now I’m thinking recessed-jewel-encased enclosures…..

I started reading the OP and ended up reading about the Suhr Hombre. I’ve had a Magnatone Twilighter in my cart since before I bought the blackface (super sweet amp), but now it may have to stay there awhile….I blame you sir, and like any good husband I’ll project that blame when my wife asks about the new “box” in the lab. :ROFLMAO:

The build looks great Michael, and I know it’s sounding that way with you at the other end of the cable. (y)

I’m liking the pink pimple idea Will. Now I’m thinking recessed-jewel-encased enclosures…..
This is the video that got me hooked on the Suhr Hombre....

Last edited:
Back