Updated - was - Another Different Sort of Build Report... It's at the Front End of the Pedal Chain...

Fingolfen

Updated with done pictures (at the front... if you want the gory details, scroll down...) Ian finished up the nut and the set-up... and dang is this thing amazing... :D

BCB Jazzmaster Finished - 01.jpg

Detail pic...

BCB Jazzmaster Finished - 02.jpg

----- (previous post starts here) -----

When it first came out, I loved the look and sound of the Fender Noventa Jazzmaster, but honestly hated the available colors. The Fiesta Red was too orange, the Surf Green was too 50s, and the Walnut was… well… brown… So I did what any enterprising DIY person would do, I took matters into my own hands and decided to build my own. I started with a Warmoth Split Jazzmaster body for this build (swamp ash core, flame maple top, and a gloss black cherry burst finish).

BCB Jazzmaster - 02.jpg

I wanted to retain as much of the feel and sound of the original as possible, so I picked up a set of Noventa Jazzmaster pickups and electronics. I kept most of that intact only changing out the 5-way switch for a 6-way switch (which gives me a neck/bridge setting) and the stock jack for a Pure Tone Mono jack (all pictured below after a successful "tap test").

BCB Jazzmaster - 20.jpg

The neck is an original Fender Noventa Jazzmaster neck in Pau Ferro – unfortunately the nut slots are not cut and I lack the tools to do it properly, so I’m taking it in to Five Star Guitars to have the nut dressed and the string guides installed (with the rest of the set-up).

BCB Jazzmaster - 15.jpg

I’d initially gone with a Warmoth black Split Jazzmaster pickguard in black to match the pickups, but it just didn’t work visually for the build, so I upgraded to a Halo carbon fiber one, that absolutely pops!

BCB Jazzmaster - 30.jpg

So, I'm really happy with the build - at least as far as I can take it. I've got the tremolo and bridge thimbles attached (American Professional II). The bridge is still "floating" as it needs some strings to keep it in place, which needs the nut... etc. I'm hoping to get it by Five Star this weekend so Ian can work on it next week. The man's an artist.

If you're interested in the full, far more verbose, incredibly detailed, and only occasionally redundant step-by-step of the process so far, it's at the blog...

Last edited:
When it first came out, I loved the look and sound of the Fender Noventa Jazzmaster, but honestly hated the available colors. The Fiesta Red was too orange, the Surf Green was too 50s, and the Walnut was… well… brown… So I did what any enterprising DIY person would do, I took matters into my own hands and decided to build my own. I started with a Warmoth Split Jazzmaster body for this build (swamp ash core, flame maple top, and a gloss black cherry burst finish).

View attachment 26567

I wanted to retain as much of the feel and sound of the original as possible, so I picked up a set of Noventa Jazzmaster pickups and electronics. I kept most of that intact only changing out the 5-way switch for a 6-way switch (which gives me a neck/bridge setting) and the stock jack for a Pure Tone Mono jack (all pictured below after a successful "tap test").

View attachment 26568

The neck is an original Fender Noventa Jazzmaster neck in Pau Ferro – unfortunately the nut slots are not cut and I lack the tools to do it properly, so I’m taking it in to Five Star Guitars to have the nut dressed and the string guides installed (with the rest of the set-up).

View attachment 26569

I’d initially gone with a Warmoth black Split Jazzmaster pickguard in black to match the pickups, but it just didn’t work visually for the build, so I upgraded to a Halo carbon fiber one, that absolutely pops!

View attachment 26570

So, I'm really happy with the build - at least as far as I can take it. I've got the tremolo and bridge thimbles attached (American Professional II). The bridge is still "floating" as it needs some strings to keep it in place, which needs the nut... etc. I'm hoping to get it by Five Star this weekend so Ian can work on it next week. The man's an artist.

If you're interested in the full, far more verbose, incredibly detailed, and only occasionally redundant step-by-step of the process so far, it's at the blog...

Man, I've been resisting the urge to do another Warmoth build. This isn't helping.....:) What a gorgeous guitar, and 3 P90's! No way to get a bad sound out of that. The Warmoth stuff is pricey but the build quality is always top shelf.

Re: nut files, I have a set of Stew Mac nut files I bought about 20 years ago, it's one of those "hold your nose while you pay the man" type purchases......(like ANYTHING I buy from StewMac)....but I have never regretted making the investment. It gives me control over how I do my setups to my preferences. (And my wife has told me more than once what a control freak I am.....:)) Having said that I recently picked up some cheap MusicNomad nut files from Amazon for a couple of string gauges that I didn't have. Pretty impressed with them and they're a lot cheaper than the StewMac ones.

Man, I've been resisting the urge to do another Warmoth build. This isn't helping.....:) What a gorgeous guitar, and 3 P90's! No way to get a bad sound out of that. The Warmoth stuff is pricey but the build quality is always top shelf.

Re: nut files, I have a set of Stew Mac nut files I bought about 20 years ago, it's one of those "hold your nose while you pay the man" type purchases......(like ANYTHING I buy from StewMac)....but I have never regretted making the investment. It gives me control over how I do my setups to my preferences. (And my wife has told me more than once what a control freak I am.....:)) Having said that I recently picked up some cheap MusicNomad nut files from Amazon for a couple of string gauges that I didn't have. Pretty impressed with them and they're a lot cheaper than the StewMac ones.
Man, you could build a beautiful guitar for under $700 from Warmoth 10 years ago… times have changed!

Back