Circulator (Orbis Terrarum)

mybud

Here's the first build following the long-awaited fulfillment of ten boards (or so) from PPCB. These were very promptly dispatched as usual, but we are experiencing quite severe postage delays this side. Note the minimalist layout, because I have yet to put my toes into the turbulent waters of Tayda printing options. It's for my own domestic use in any case. If I do decide to explore these options, there's a wealth of excellent guidance and info right here on this forum.

That said, it does nice juicy phasing and has great versatility in regard to a wide range of available sounds. Next up: the Caesar and Cepheid choruses, various compressors (Constrictor and so on), the Magnetron delay, etc., a whole range of devices to enhance, mangle, and warp the sound of my unsuspecting guitars.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Nice clean looking pedal! Never seen knobs like those. They're interesting.

Oh...and it's not a build report without a gut shot. :p

Hey guys: Thanks for the interest and here’s the inside scoop. I’ll fix the crossed wires in time.

Just relieved and chuffed it works and sounds great 👍 to boot.

@jeffwhitfield Yeah, those are Sifam knurled shaft knobs from RS components. Let me know if you need more details.

Stay well and all best.

Attachments

• 7AECADD8-F5E9-41A1-8487-67D3EC84650E.jpeg
    7AECADD8-F5E9-41A1-8487-67D3EC84650E.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 29
Sorry Jeff, my wires are well and truly crossed. Those are from Tayda.

I just put the Sifams on a chorus build, hence the confusion. Sure and again, let me know if you need details.

Juicy phasing you say? I’m on it!
Great build sir. :love:

I may try to do a second print from Tayda, and also try one from Amplifyfun. If only there wasn’t such a disconnect between pcb designs and enclosure drilling and printing it would streamline things ;)

@fig: Thanks. I appreciate the compliment from a true aficionado.

I really should get the hang of this printing lark even if only to put the final gloss on the finished product.

Meanwhile I rationalise by thinking that a pedal is also a musical instrument and one learns to play it with or without the labels. Not particularly convincing, I fear. 🤔

So saying I seem to gravitate towards modulation-based builds (phasers, choruses, and so on) and believe that each has a quite specific sound (its own music, if you like).

Enough. I ramble, never a good thing.

Thanks again. Stay safe.

Nice looking build! I've got one of these waiting to be built as well, but was going to do some of the mods that were posted on here since some people say that the effect can be subtle. Do you find that to be the case with yours?

Thanks.

Depends, I guess, on how one reads ‘subtle‘ 😉 @jwyles90

As it happens, I came across the mods halfway through the build and considered them as an option but forged ahead eventually with the stock version. I only had ordered one board as well, so getting it right first time was deffo a factor.

[I tried a hack kludge of the rate LED mod after the fact but was concerned that the pedal seemed to lose volume so I didn’t persevere. This is by no means a critique of the mods because my approach was less than full-blooded, a quick hack as I said.] Doing them more meticulously would no doubt produce different results.

On the subtlety question, it’s maybe a bit less ‘resonant-peaky‘ than others (Phase II, Phase 90, etc.) when resonance and depth are cranked. I play mostly blues and jazz (and odd ambient-ish stuff) on a Brian Moore iGuitar with humbuckers and this phaser seems to marry well with this particular setup. This may not work for a different setup or genre or style of playing.

I have no doubt about the potential of the mods in question. Maybe order two boards and do an A-B to see what works best for your rig?

Thanks again. Best for your build(s) to come.

Thanks.

Depends, I guess, on how one reads ‘subtle‘ 😉 @jwyles90

As it happens, I came across the mods halfway through the build and considered them as an option but forged ahead eventually with the stock version. I only had ordered one board as well, so getting it right first time was deffo a factor.

[I tried a hack kludge of the rate LED mod after the fact but was concerned that the pedal seemed to lose volume so I didn’t persevere. This is by no means a critique of the mods because my approach was less than full-blooded, a quick hack as I said.] Doing them more meticulously would no doubt produce different results.

On the subtlety question, it’s maybe a bit less ‘resonant-peaky‘ than others (Phase II, Phase 90, etc.) when resonance and depth are cranked. I play mostly blues and jazz (and odd ambient-ish stuff) on a Brian Moore iGuitar with humbuckers and this phaser seems to marry well with this particular setup. This may not work for a different setup or genre or style of playing.

I have no doubt about the potential of the mods in question. Maybe order two boards and do an A-B to see what works best for your rig?

Thanks again. Best for your build(s) to come.
Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on only doing some of the more straightforward mods (changing resistor and pot values) and keeping everything else the same, so I'm curious how that will go. If I'm not happy with it then I'll probably build the stock version, but it sounds like either way it's a good build!

Back