Screamin' Muff!

jwyles90

This is my Screamin' Muff, my first 2 in 1 build! One of my favorite pedal combos is a Tube Screamer-style circuit into a Green Russian Big Muff, so I decided to try my hand at putting them both into one enclosure. On the right side is a Plumes clone, and while it's not exactly a TS style circuit it still does what I want it to do (and is a pretty solid overdrive in its own right). On the left is the Green Russian Big Muff. They both sound great on their own, but stacked into one another they sound freakin killer, especially with the Plumes side set to the boost mode.

I had a hell of a time getting this one to work. Initially, I populated both boards, wired it up, and then only the Plumes side worked. I triple-checked everything I could on the Muff side, took an audio probe to it, reflowed all the solder joints, etc, and still was getting nothing out of it. Eventually, I took the entire Muff pcb out, and even when I had it hooked up to my testing platform it was still not working, so after a few weeks of trying everything I could think of and not getting any results I just called it quits and repopulated another board. I'll probably go back and find that one, tiny bad resistor or something that's making it not work but for now it's in a drawer quietly thinking about what it's done.

Once I repopulated the new board and wired it up it was all smooth sailing (minus having to solder a resistor lead to a now too-short wire) and works great! Lots of fun, heavy wall of sound tones to get out of this guy.
The art was also done by my girlfriend, and we're both super stoked on how it turned out.

Screamin Muff exterior.jpg Screamin Muff.jpg

My "secret" is slamming a DS-1 into a BMP. The BMP stacks excellently...as long as its last in line...

And by "secret," I mean "something I saw somebody do this one time and adopted as part of my 'thing'"...

My "secret" is slamming a DS-1 into a BMP. The BMP stacks excellently...as long as its last in line...

And by "secret," I mean "something I saw somebody do this one time and adopted as part of my 'thing'"...
Oh, right! I think I remember someone posting something about that. It was this sort of rainbow pinwheel looking pedal, right? Like a TS into a Green Muff? :p

Maybe I'll run a DS-1 before this one, turn them all on at once and blow my bedroom door off its hinges.

Back