DEMO Madbean Total Recall (EHX Deluxe Memory Man)

This post contains an audio or video demo

blackhatboojum

So, Where do I begin with this gem? I guess I'll start by saying... I ran into a couple of issues with this one. First issue was on the output of the first bbd. When audio probing, I had a nice clean signal to pin 7 but, just clock noise on pins 3&4. I flipped the board over to investigate my solder joints and Hey! A slight solder bridge between pins 3&4. Cleaned that up and then rest of the calibration procedure went off without a hitch. I couldn't wait to box this baby up, throw in front of main amp, and run it through its paces. That leads me to the next issue... the enclosure. The enclosure I had initially was not tall enough. A little advice to anyone wanting to build this pedal... A tayda 1590bb2 enclosure is not tall enough to accommodate everything. You're best bet is to use a 1590bbs enclosure. In my haste to box it up and play it, I decided to order a 1590C from amazon because I could get it in a day thanks to my prime membership. There is more than enough room now. In fact, the circuit is swimming in that thing lol. At first I was like, "Jesus Christ, this thing is a brick now" but, I actually kinda dig how tall it is. It's the biggest, most complicated build I've ever attempted so, the biggest enclosure I've ever used... is kinda fitting. Now that I've addressed the issues I had with this build, I guess it's on to the good shit. All I really have to say is this thing is awesome! I've never played through a Memory Man until now but, I totally get the hype and love for this circuit. It's totally its own thing. There are no other analog delays that I've played that sound like this. It's brighter than most, it's got this crispy white noise thing on the repeats, and the modulation can give you some wacky yet musical sounds. I'm really digging this delay and I'm even happier that I pulled off this build. I included another no so great demo. It's mainly to show that the pedal actually works lol.

52130241819_342dd0e73c_k.jpg

52128979132_fcf73e83f8_k.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to build one of those but man that build scares the crap out of me, gotta admit hahaha. Maybe when I grow up into a big boy pedal builder I'll attempt it:) Awesome build man! Great demo too! I don't know any Tool but it sounds great!

I'd love to build one of those but man that build scares the crap out of me, gotta admit hahaha. Maybe when I grow up into a big boy pedal builder I'll attempt it:) Awesome build man! Great demo too! I don't know any Tool but it sounds great!
Thanks for the kind words! I was right there with you a little over a year ago and I’m in no way a big boy builder lol. I’m just a 40 year old monkey who likes to tinker with shit in his garage. If you’ve developed good soldering skills and have a few successful BBD based builds under your belt… It’s not that intimidating. It’s a matter of taking your time, making sure your solder joints are solid, and paying attention to details. You’ve built a working Caesar so your well on your way my friend.

Wish I would have read this first. I just wasted a 1590bb. So close to fitting but not happening. Currently just have it backless until my 1590c from Amazon arrives. Lol. Did you clip R31?

Wish I would have read this first. I just wasted a 1590bb. So close to fitting but not happening. Currently just have it backless until my 1590c from Amazon arrives. Lol. Did you clip R31?
I did in fact omit the r31 resistor. It definitely makes a difference. The repeat degradation is more natural with it removed. As far as squeezing the circuit into a 1590bb… I managed to rehouse mine into a fresh Tayda 1590bb2 awhile back. I had to cheat my drill holes toward the bottom of the enclosure on the input and output jacks and I had to use lumbergs but, I got it to fit. If you’re trying to go with a standard 1590bb I don’t think there’s enough room even using lumberg jacks.

Back