Preferred Electrovibe LDR position

Kester

Hey,

I'm in the process of building the Electrovibe, and I just had a question about the position of the photocells.
It seems like some people keep them flat, while others have them angled in facing the bulb, or somewhere in-between...
What have most people on here done?
Has anyone tried both ways and found any preferences?

Cheers,
Kester

Hey,

I'm in the process of building the Electrovibe, and I just had a question about the position of the photocells.
It seems like some people keep them flat, while others have them angled in facing the bulb, or somewhere in-between...
What have most people on here done?
Has anyone tried both ways and found any preferences?

Cheers,
Kester

From what I’ve read, and without getting into any “woo-woo” type stuff, the physical positioning of the LDRs in relation to one another, not their angle, can have a more drastic effect.

In other words, the lamp itself can shine with more intensity in certain spots, so where singles or pairs of LDRs are located in relation to these more intense spots of the lamp matters more than the angular positioning.

Or so I’ve heard.

From what I’ve read, and without getting into any “woo-woo” type stuff, the physical positioning of the LDRs in relation to one another, not their angle, can have a more drastic effect.

In other words, the lamp itself can shine with more intensity in certain spots, so where singles or pairs of LDRs are located in relation to these more intense spots of the lamp matters more than the angular positioning.

Or so I’ve heard.
Thanks, I'll see where the bulb seems to be producing most light from and adjust accordingly!

In this picture you can see the "vintage accurate" way it was done, next to the way fulltone has done it in the deja-vibe. Also visible are the light shields used which reflect light that is bounced back to the ldr's. When I made my mbp harbinger I lined my light shield with aluminum tape to simulate this as much as possible.View attachment 27143View attachment 27144

This is the little acknowledged reason TO use a light shield. Evening out the light distribution and limiting “blank” spots.

In this picture you can see the "vintage accurate" way it was done, next to the way fulltone has done it in the deja-vibe. Also visible are the light shields used which reflect light that is bounced back to the ldr's. When I made my mbp harbinger I lined my light shield with aluminum tape to simulate this as much as possible.View attachment 27143View attachment 27144
Wait...the LDRs are supposed to be flush with the PCB? I have mine sticking up and bent 90 degrees so they face directly into the bulb. Is that why I'm getting signal when engaged but no noticeable effect?

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: fig
Wait...the LDRs are supposed to be flush with the PCB? I have mine sticking up and bent 90 degrees so they face directly into the bulb. Is that why I'm getting signal when engaged but no noticeable effect?
They all came together for a photo op, how cute.

I think if you arrange them in a hug like that, the light shield is redundant (boxed up). It's probably needed if they lie flat.

You should be ok with them like that. That's more or less how I have mine. Only downside I'm aware of with this configuration is that if the LDR's aren't matched then the effect might be minimized. However, with the BIAS and GAIN you can more or less get it in the ballpark. Pretty pleased with mine. Might consider messing with it later though just for fun to see how much it can be improved by matching the LDR's and possibly using a light shield.

There's no polarity to this light bulb, right? Doesn't matter which way you put it in? I think mine is burnt out.

Back