Maestro Filter / Sample & Hold FSH-1A

Looks like Jeff (GeekMcDaddy) added a few more controls: Attack, Decay, Resonance. An Up/Down switch would be nice too. I've played thru a Mutron III and it was pretty sweet. I'm gonna gin up something on protoboard or Vero. If we can design out JFETs, that would be a real plus. A 4066 could be used for the S/H switch and have switches left over for Up/Down or LP/BP/HP switching.

Good info! Some transistors are noisier than others, even when connected in the E-B config. They really need to be selected to ensure best pedal performance. Same goes for zeners.

I'm just now noticing that PedalPCB has a digital solution in the EEPROM builder.

The fv-1 sample hold filter on here is pretty fun. I haven’t played an analog version to compare (like the maestro). I haven’t played the auto wah patch from here, but @PedalPCB said it’s not envelope controlled, but rather the filter continuously sweeps on a sine wave (like a tremolo). An envelope filter auto wah would be doable on the fv-1 though.

anyway, when EQD went to make a maestro style pedal, they went the fv-1 route (spatial delivery, as has been discussed in the wish list). So that’s something to think about. Not sure if they thought it was easier to get consistent results with the fv-1, or it sounded better, or they just wanted to do something different than the maestro.

The envelope filter in this thing is insanely good, blows away all of the others I've tried.

Maybe you should also add the name "Oberheim VCF" to the description too since Zappa freaks like me will search for that name instead of Maestro.

On my madbean version, the envelope filter is good enough that it can transform my Rhodes into a passable funky Clavinet.

Back