What's on the workbench?

The Compact and Compact Bass make sense, I've never understood the "Stacked" version though. I've never tried stacking one compressor into another. Nor do I understand why one would want to.
Quite a few famous stacked compression tones.

If you’re going for a Roger McGuinn 12 string tone, the sauce was two outboard compressors in series (not actually 1176s from what I’ve read, but something similar)

If you’re after the long slide sustain of Lowell George, a pair of 1176s is your friend (I believe this was actually the primary influence for the Cali 76 stacked edition)

George Harrison and Todd Rundgren’s slide sounds are likely from stacked compression too, and they’ve got the tastiest slide tones around.

Eric Stewart is also rumored to be a fan of serial compression with lighter compression ratios running.

Lowell George had the most amazing slide tone. Very compressed but instantly recognizable. I've tried to use his "Craftsman 11/16 socket" slide thing but can never get it to sound good. I generally use this ancient porcelain slide I've had forever. Can't even remember where I got it from. But I love the tone. I've tried other porcelain slides and nothing sounds as good as that one. I used my Keely Compressor on the slide solo and that porcelain slide on this pedal demo. Definitely a George Harrison vibe I was after....

The Compact and Compact Bass make sense, I've never understood the "Stacked" version though. I've never tried stacking one compressor into another. Nor do I understand why one would want to.
for example stacking compressors like 1176 into LA2A is a technique widely used to treat the voice in a recording session, you can find so many vids on the net about this. Doing the same thing for guitars i don't know if it's usefull , maybe it's just marketing to sell more of this pedals? I've never seen a pedal board with two comp stacked honestly.

I noticed that pedal manufacturers are coming up with absurd concepts lately, perhaps because the market is now saturated with everything and it is increasingly difficult to invent USEFUL new stuff. The only interesting pedal I have tried in recent times is the low tide.

Stacking compressors has been widely used with outboard comps during studio mixing for over half a century.

EDIT: People don't always make the most sense when constructing a pedal board. Just because you see 12 overdrives on a board doesn't mean it's useful.

Back