Ticking from SuperHeterodyne Receiver

flemming

I've poked at this one several times now, boxed it up, unboxed, rinse, repeat and I'm finally throwing it out there to see if anyone has any tips. This isn't the first time this has been mentioned:

The ticking only occurs when the Oscillator is turned up (or when the Subharmonic is toggled to use the Oscillator as the root). My prior experience with ticking has either been because of noisy power (but this also happens on battery) or running the output too close to the LED/LDRs in the Phase II. I read a couple things Chuck wrote on the topic of LFO tick:

But there's a lot going on in this circuit so testing out some of the ideas in here are currently a bit above me. I believe the pedal works fine, aside from this. Though I don't know if my angry robot sounds are the intended angry robot sounds 🤖. One thing that I have noticed while testing on a battery is that if the voltage of the battery drops a bit to ~8v then the ticking disappears. I don't have a power supply to test this more precisely. I'm inclined to throw some diodes on the input power to knock it down a bit and see if that "solves" the problem. I tinkered with a voltage divider on the input power but that didn't really work. Another thing that I've noticed is that with the oscillator turned up there is a bit of DC bouncing up and down the output (~.3V) and with it down there is not. I replaced both the 1u coupling caps out the oscillator pot as well as right before the volume with 1u tantalums just to see if either of those helped and they did not.

I've probed the circuit the best I can, but there's a lot going on in here and it's really hard to say for certain if a tick is present or not in some places since the volume may be super low and it's just being amplified elsewhere. There appears to be a faint tick pretty much everywhere starting even before the power input diode if you listen closely, even while on battery. Is that the same loud tick that I'm ultimately hearing from the oscillator? I have no idea. The tick is only present in the output when the oscillator is turned up, so even though I may faintly here it for example on the square pot I don't here it in the output. I noticed the tick from the square pot is gone on the opposite side of its coupling cap. Would changing the coupling cap size from the oscillator make a potential difference? I don't really want to desolder more things randomly, so looking for a bit of insight if you have any to offer. I do have a cheap digital scope, though I'm not entirely certain where and what to look for to help narrow it down.

Thanks for the help.

PedalPCB-SuperHeterodyneReceiver.jpg

Did you ever resolve the ticking?
I have not, but I also haven't spent a ton of time tinkering with it. It's still sitting on my work bench. I'm assuming that you're experiencing the same thing? I chained together a few diodes that I had on hand to knock the input voltage down a bit, but I honestly don't recall if I got it as low as the saggy battery was, so I'll have to revisit that. I'd love to rebox this and post a build report because I really like the graphics I did for it, but I'm tired of taking it in and out and I haven't given up hope just yet (though I'm close).

I was just messing with this again today and realized that I never searched to see if anyone reported the same problem with the EQD Data Corrupter.

So this may just be the way it is. I wanted to explore the sagging battery "fix" as I noted above. In lieu of having a power supply to try and more accurately dial in a voltage where the ticking disappeared I used a buck converter that I had laying around from a different project and sure enough right around 8v the ticking goes away. I think it's hard to say whether or not that voltage drop impacts other parts of the circuit negatively since it's all just different flavors of noise. I need to try the diode thing again and actually pay attention this time :) If I'm sufficiently motivated I may try pulling the power pin on the Oscillator IC and see if just dropping the voltage there makes it better without effecting the voltage elsewhere.

@flemming old thread, but wondering if you were able to get any further with fixing the ticking on your pedal. I just finished building one and I'm getting the ticking as well when using the master oscillator. I'm running mine with a pedal power 2 plus which has an output with sag adjustments; I tried lowering the voltage but in my case the ticking was still there.

The reddit post you linked shows the issue very well, but it was also interesting reading the OPs further comments that a replacement pedal didn't have this noise. I'll poke through a bit in case I find something obviously wrong, but at the end of the day I'll likely live with it as it's a noisy pedal anyway, but it does bother me knowing that it's something that could be fixed.

No luck. I haven't messed with it much though. At this point I pretty much hate this thing and I'm not even sure why I wanted to build it in the first place :) Maybe I'll dust it off and play with it a bit more, but I'm not super motivated since it was a very niche build to begin with.

Thanks for the response and I completely agree on this being a very niche build. This is one of those pedals that I could never justify buying, but it was a fun build and it's capable of making some interesting, wacky noises.

Hate to bump this page, but I’m having the same issues. Ticking comes from only the oscillating knob when it’s turned up. Not sure if this is a particular trait with this pedal, but I’m kinda bummed. Got the right parts and clean solder joints all over, but I’m still getting that damn ticking noise.

I'd love to say that I sorted this one out, but no luck. Chuck made a recent comment about some TI CMOS chips being noisy, and that could possibly be in play here, but I don't have any non-TI options to test with to see if it helps.

Back