SOLVED Constrictor Gain Reduction LED

DSpenceATL

Hello all! This is cross-posted from modifications, but I got near zero interaction there, so trying my luck here.

I have been a long time lurker on the forum, but today is my first time posting. 99% of issues I've had during builds I've been able to troubleshoot just by reading threads here, so thanks so much for that!

I have just finished a Constrictor build, and it's working great! I would love to add a second LED to show gain reduction. I've done a lot of searching for answers to this, and have yet to find anything satisfactory. I found an old thread on another forum from 2010 which never got a full answer, and I've tried spent some time with IvIark's vero layout over on tagboardeffects, but to no avail.

From what I understand, I need to attach a 330R resistor on the positive side of this second LED, and tap into the LED side of the Vactrol. Can anyone tell me the exact points i should be hooking up the + and - to, in reference to the Constrictor board?

Thanks so much!

Reactions: fig
Hi @DSpenceATL. I am about to build one of these and will see if your proposed mod works. Will let you know outcome in due course.
Solution from Chuck D. Bones - “Try installing an LED and limiting resistor from IC2-7 to IC2-1. LED cathode toward IC2-1, same as the VTL5C10. Keep the limiting resistor larger than 1K so as to not steal too much current from IC2.”

I found success with a super bright white LED and a 2.2k resistor. YMMV.

Solution from Chuck D. Bones - “Try installing an LED and limiting resistor from IC2-7 to IC2-1. LED cathode toward IC2-1, same as the VTL5C10. Keep the limiting resistor larger than 1K so as to not steal too much current from IC2.”

I found success with a super bright white LED and a 2.2k resistor. YMMV.
Thanks @DSpenceATL, will check this option out for sure.

Back