DEMO Outskirts Echo Transmission Array- 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine+ modulation+ Rub-a-Dub reverb

This post contains an audio or video demo

Harry Klippton

Here it is, delay, modulation, reverb, and a shitload of knobs in a hefty enclosure- the Outskirts Echo Transmission Array- 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine+ modulation+ Rub-a-Dub reverb.

This pedal does a lot of stuff. It's a dual pt2399 delay with 3 different modes that approximate an EP-3 sound (with just Delay 2 being active,) an RE-201 sound, and an Echorec sound. There's an add-on modulation board to add modulation to Delay 1 or Delay 2 with speed and depth controls. The middle position turns the modulation off (thankfully).

In the middle are controls for the ramp up and release of the tape speed footswitch for oscillation. This was the main reason I was excited to build this pedal but more on that later.

Then there's the reverb, which is a Belton 3 brick, with decay, mix, and tone controls. I cut the brick open and removed one of the SMD resistors in the modulation section of the brick following diablo Chris's posts on the Madbean forum but I'm not sure it really made much difference.

I'm not much of a delay user. A while back, I posted this thread . Overall I was a little underwhelmed with this pedal, especially considering how much work went into it and how cool I think it looks- how cool a pedal looks is VERY important . One of my first impressions was that I don't even want to build the Hydra because why would anyone want multi head delay cuz it sounds bad. As mentioned above, I was really excited about the oscillation controls but the oscillation ended up being way more subtle than I expected. I wanted total wipeout tape sounds but the oscillation is pretty quiet and fades out pretty fast. Maybe this is when I stop chasing delays and embrace the only delay pedal I've ever loved.

This build is also significant to me for another reason, too. Several years ago, I saw a build report for the multiplex echo machine on a different starter pak kit build forum. I didn't know about any non-kit pedal building and this discovery led me to Madbean pedals. I started looking at other multiplex builds and at the time I thought they were really impressive. To me at the time, it seemed like if I could work up to building one and make it look cool like it would in my imagination, then that would be some kind of rite of passage.

This build has a lot of wacky wiring, and making the drill layout took a lot of work. The 1776 docs have more of an old school "fuck it, you build it" approach. I made my own wiring diagram, not without a couple missteps. The big gotcha for me was the boards only having one ground pad so at first I ended up without having connected grounds from the dc jack to the footswitch wiring. I had to pull some stuff out and add it in.

Demo below if you're still with me. If you read all this, thanks!
signal-2022-07-02-13-28-42-955.jpg
signal-2022-07-02-13-28-46-151.jpg

I built the Multiplex with the mod board/ramp switch. I could never the end mod and speed to work. Glad to see it’s my error and not a design with the boards. It’s a great echo. It’s pretty sensitive to 2399’s too…you can swap different ones in and get different tones.

I built the Multiplex with the mod board/ramp switch. I could never the end mod and speed to work. Glad to see it’s my error and not a design with the boards. It’s a great echo. It’s pretty sensitive to 2399’s too…you can swap different ones in and get different tones.
I socketed (GASP!!) R31 and R33 in case I want to try other values, but I'm not inclined to do that any time soon. I have the urge to build 1000 fuzz pedals

I’m at the point where the El-Cap is the only delay I’m using. It just does what it does simply and with great results.

I’m sitting on an FV1 and I’ll likely build the Daydream or the DMD-2.

I have to be honest, I have been aware of the 1776 stuff but never have look at any of it… you got my curiosity going now.

I forgot to mention when I obliterated the 4P3T rotary switch while putting the knob on it. I pushed the shaft straight through the base til they separated because I'm a monster that doesn't know his own strength. After I finished panicking, I asked @fig if he had a spare cuz he probably did, but HE DIDNT!! And all of the usual suppliers were out of stock. Then I took the most sensible option and figured out how it worked and reassembled it. Like with the Belton surgery, I should have taken more pictures of how it goes together

exactly where I landed when two complicated and expensive builds landed in the underwhelm at the same time ... then I built the hydra delay and got over it
This build made me realize the Hydra probably isn't for me. I have little to no use for multi head rhythmic delays. I'll probably still build it anyway though 🤷

Back