Big Knobs - how big have you gone!?

Cucurbitam0schata

Big knobs are fun and sounds superior to small knobs. ;)

For a 5-knob or 6-knob build, my measurements from the first pedal I build look like the spacing is just over 20mm between the pot centers. That sounds like a 20mm knob (like a Boss 20mm x 12mm) would be a little too close for comfort. Just want to poll the crowd - in your experience, how big is too big? What size worked for you? May have to reserve the mondo knobs for a another project...

2823-1.jpg.jpg

Annotation 2019-11-24 101530.png

You can fit them, it’s close but it works. It can look pretty slick IMO.

EDIT: On my build I was thinking of, the knobs were 19mm, not 20mm. Other comments below have good advice.

Last edited:
For a 5-knob or 6-knob build, my measurements from the first pedal I build look like the spacing is just over 20mm between the pot centers.

Controls on 5 and 6 knob boards are typically spaced 0.8" horizontally and 1" vertically.

3 and 4 knob boards are typically spaced 0.65" horizontally and 1" vertically.

There are some exceptions, but this is the standard format for PedalPCB boards.

20mm knobs may or may not touch depending on how accurately the holes were drilled. For 5 knobbers I prefer knobs around 12 to 16mm. I have a 5 knobber with 19mm's on it and it's tight but works.

4-knob pedals are spaced 1.3" H x 1.0" V. I know because I had to make that measurement earlier today.
Here's a tip: Acrobat Reader DC has a measure function. Click More Tools (the wrench symbol) on the right margin, then click on Measure. A Measure toolbar appears. Click on Measuring tool and you're off to the races. The drill template is drawn 1:1 scale, you can measure right off of that. The circuit board assy dwg on page 1 is not drawn 1:1 scale, so measurements taken from that will have to be scaled manually.

haven’t measured one, but this doesn’t seem right... should the horizontal spacing on a 4-knob be more than a 6 knob?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The spacing is 0.65" from knob to knob, (or center), not from far left to far right.

Originally the 3 and 4 Knob boards control spacings were designed to fit in a 1590B or 125B...

Once you get up to 5+ controls things just get too cramped for a 1590B (for my tastes anyway) so the controls were spread out on those. If you spread out the 3 and 4 knob spacings 0.8" (1.6" total) they just look a little wonky, so they kept the 0.65" (1.3" total) spacing.

Drill templates will likely be updated to show dimensions soon, since all projects will soon have a drilled enclosure option available at Tayda.
You will also have the option to change the diameter of certain holes if needed (DC power jack or LED, for example).

3 Knob
3Knob.png

4 Knob
4Knob.png

6 Knob

6Knob.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back