First Combo build....and it works! Mach 1/Southern Belle

If you wanted to stick with a double-Greer build, put the Mach 1 back, but replace the Southern Belle with the Hatchet. I liked the Hatchet better than Southern Bell, and it's made to be stacked behind another drive, so perfect for a double pedal.

If you wanted to stick with a double-Greer build, put the Mach 1 back, but replace the Southern Belle with the Hatchet. I liked the Hatchet better than Southern Bell, and it's made to be stacked behind another drive, so perfect for a double pedal.
Have you looked at the Soma 63? There's a PCB for it (Neurocyton) plus I have an extra TY-141P that I got for my Duocast build that needs a home.

We're chatting about Fender Brownface era amps in the other thread, this pedal sounds right up my alley. Mach 1 into the Soma 63 sounds like it could be tasty......

Have you looked at the Soma 63? There's a PCB for it (Neurocyton) plus I have an extra TY-141P that I got for my Duocast build that needs a home.

We're chatting about Fender Brownface era amps in the other thread, this pedal sounds right up my alley. Mach 1 into the Soma 63 sounds like it could be tasty......
The Soma is in my future, but I haven't built it yet.
Another reason Hatchet came to mind is that it's the same knob layout as the Southern Belle, so will fit into what you already drilled. (And I don't know if the transformer will fit in the shallower depth of the 1590BB).

The Soma is in my future, but I haven't built it yet.
Another reason Hatchet came to mind is that it's the same knob layout as the Southern Belle, so will fit into what you already drilled. (And I don't know if the transformer will fit in the shallower depth of the 1590BB).
Hmmm good point, I'd have to mount it off board to make it fit. Although there IS a lot of room for that.

Looks nice. I haven’t had much luck stacking my Mach 1, always too much high end. Alone, it’s really useful for shoegazer stuff.
Yah, that's what I'm running into, I really have to back down the tone knob to make it work. Both pedals have a deceptively large amount of high end that really gets accentuated when stacked.
My trick has been to stack it with an overdrive that most people complain has TOO MUCH bottom end: the Nobels ODR-1. The last few guitar gigs I’ve played (now, to be fair, they’ve been country gigs) I’ve mostly lived on the back pickup (split to single coil) of a Squier ‘51, Boss CS-3 always on, Lightspeed always on, Nobels for leads, EQ pedal always on set flat with just a slight push on the middle band and about the same push on the level control, into a Blues Jr. A little bit of tape-style slapback, tremolo for the pretty songs, Phase 90 for Waylon tunes. I keep a Mostortion clone for neck pickup bluesy stuff, and a Rat for the 80s.

Like I said, that has been for country gigs, but I’ve used the same board for a more typical bar rock gig, and it sounded great, even with a Gretsch or a Les Paul. I think the Nashville guys might just have it right with the Lightspeed into the Nobels. I’m a bit surprised nobody has done a commercial double pedal with derivatives of these two circuits yet.

My Nobels copy was made by KEP, and looks like a near-copy of the Aion Andromeda but built on KEP’s own PCB. Whatever it is, it has a bass control, which I did have to roll back to about 2-2:30 with humbuckers. With a bridge single coil, I leave the bass wide open, and the top end from the Lightspeed seems to balance it out just fine.

Last edited:
My trick has been to stack it with an overdrive that most people complain has TOO MUCH bottom end: the Nobels ODR-1. The last few guitar gigs I’ve played (now, to be fair, they’ve been country gigs) I’ve mostly lived on the back pickup (split to single coil) of a Squier ‘51, Boss CS-3 always on, Lightspeed always on, Nobels for leads, EQ pedal always on set flat with just a slight push on the middle band and about the same push on the level control, into a Blues Jr. A little bit of tape-style slapback, tremolo for the pretty songs, Phase 90 for Waylon tunes. I keep a Mostortion clone for neck pickup bluesy stuff, and a Rat for the 80s.

Like I said, that has been for country gigs, but I’ve used the same board for a more typical bar rock gig, and it sounded great, even with a Gretsch or a Les Paul. I think the Nashville guys might just have it right with the Lightspeed into the Nobels. I’m a bit surprised nobody has done a commercial double pedal with derivatives of these two circuits yet.

My Nobels copy was made by KEP, and looks like a near-copy of the Aion Andromeda but built on KEP’s own PCB. Whatever it is, it has a bass control, which I did have to roll back to about 2-2:30 with humbuckers. With a bridge single coil, I leave the bass wide open, and the top end from the Lightspeed seems to balance it out just fine.
I actually built a combo with the LightSpeed and Heavy Hand, It seems to work pretty well. LightSpeed and ODR-1 sounds pretty interesting too. I might dig out my old Nobles and see how they sound together.

Back