The DIY Board is finished!

jwyles90

I'm pretty sure I've posted a pedal or two from this board before, but I finally got around to putting together a mini-board that's all homemade (including the board itself). From right to left I've got the General Tso Compressor, Special K Distortion, Circulator Phaser (with a few of Chuck's Mods), Keeley Magnetic Echo, and the Spirit Box. I've been wanting to have an all homemade board for a while now, so I'm stoked to finally have this thing finished up. I've been really into Khruangbin lately, so the pedal choices are also inspired a lot by what Mark Speer uses on their stuff. It's pretty straightforward, not a ton of frills, but throw some wah in there too and there are all kinds of fun sounds I can get out of this combo.

The Special K is freakin awesome, and I find myself really digging the germanium side of it. It's got a nice bit of growl to it while still sounding articulate and crispy. I'm into it. The phaser was my most recent build too, and I really like how swirly and chewy it can get. Definitely has a lot of versatility to it and honestly, I think I like it more than my MXR Phase 95. Maybe I just needed a rate and depth knob to get into phasers, who knows. Build wise they were all pretty straightforward, although I put in some 1uF tantalum caps in the phaser thinking they would be fine since they were the same value. Ended up with a super loud pop whenever I would turn the pedal on or off. Thanks to the help of y'all I was able to figure out that one of the caps was oriented backwards polarity wise, replaced that with a box cap and it works like a charm!

For the board itself I just cut a few pieces of wood down that I got from Home Depot, sanded them, used some stainer and then held it all together with wood glue. I’m not much of a carpenter, but it was fun to do a project like that and I’d like to get more into that stuff one of these days.

F8577F30-5F81-4D8A-BE32-E10EFD5FB7B3.jpeg
A90810DC-16A0-4D2B-94C5-7F15B1028726.jpeg

Back