Headphones recommendation

I wish I still had my old man's original Koss Pro-4AAs but my brother trashed em. I bought a new pair but have hardly used em and I'm not sure they're the same

Reactions: fig
I love my Grado SR125x. It is an open back, so the sound “feels” the room, like true speakers. With the open back, I can also hear my wife come down and ask me questions or tell me it is “time for dinner!” Good luck!

I've been using Sony MDR-7506 for a few years but I just noticed they're starting to wear out a bit...

So maybe I need to follow this thread too. :ROFLMAO:
Once I swapped the pads on mine for Beyerdynamic pads, I was way happier. A great upgrade.

I use the Sennheiser 380HD. Basically the same as the 280 but foldable and they come with a semi rigid case. Closed back is what you want so you won't bleed music around the house. I use them for tracking guitars and vocals. I really shouldn't sing but no one will touch my lyrics with a 10ft pole 🤣

There are two types of headphones - those that you might want for recording which give you an honest, accurate (and sometimes disappointing!) sound and those which are flattering to the input. There are a few models of Beyerdynamic and AKG which are used in the recording and broadcasting industries for their accurate representations of sound - I have some but they're buried right now and forget the model numbers! Then I have some Sennheisers which look cooler and sound a lot better for just listening to music and playing guitar. I wouldn't recommend them for recording because they are a bit misleading.

Then I have some Sony bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones I wear on planes to listen to music from my iPhone. It's the only way I can sleep on a plane. Not really recording quality but who cares?

You're likely not looking in the budget section, but if you were, I got some AKG K92 headphones a couple of months ago and I really like them. They sound fantastic with my U-Turn through the Schiit Magni 3+. They also work really well with my mixer when playing bass and guitar. If you're listening to Spotify through your phone, though, they fall pretty flat.

I use the Sennheiser 380HD. Basically the same as the 280 but foldable and they come with a semi rigid case. Closed back is what you want so you won't bleed music around the house. I use them for tracking guitars and vocals. I really shouldn't sing but no one will touch my lyrics with a 10ft pole 🤣
I have these and have been wearing them almost every day for 8 years. They're falling apart but still work fine. They aren't the most comfortable for long sessions but not too bad. I don't regret my choice but there might be better

Be careful. I fell into the audiophile world a few years ago. Ended up with a Sennheiser HD600, a DAC and a tube amp. These days I just use a $40 wireless noice cancelling set I got off Amazon cause I just want everything to be quiet.

Thank you all! I've got some great suggestions. Reading through their descriptions to find the right pair (or pairs) for me. The recording may come later if it works out, so for now just noodle-phones, but I may pick up what I like for if/when I do get the space.

I have the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. Damn good set of headphones. They've served me well. Really balanced sound. Great for just about anything in terms of monitoring and recording. :D

Back