Phase II

I consider my self a competent builder but when I see guys like you solder the ICs to the board I always pray you never have a bad chip. My pullout game is strong but I don't want to test it like that. Good build.
Thanks a lot man! I've been building pedals for 15 years + and I had more trouble with IC's getting loose from the sockets when playing live than with soldering bad ones. I even soldered some NOS MN3005 directly, it's a really nice rush of adrenaline, I must tell you

You say it's your favourite phaser ever. Have you tried many? I have been on a slow hunt for my go to phaser.
I started with the MXR 100, an Ibanez phase tone 999, the BYOC Soaring Skillet, and I recently built the Circulator. And I'm quite happy with the Circulator. But you know how it is.
Have you compared the Circulator and the Phase II?

You say it's your favourite phaser ever. Have you tried many? I have been on a slow hunt for my go to phaser.
I started with the MXR 100, an Ibanez phase tone 999, the BYOC Soaring Skillet, and I recently built the Circulator. And I'm quite happy with the Circulator. But you know how it is.
Have you compared the Circulator and the Phase II?
Yes man! I tried and have lots of phasers. Boss PH1r, Boss PH2, A Yamaha PH100 (never saw other than mine), Small Stone, Grand Orbiter (and I agree, the Circulator is a great sounding phaser), Phase 45, Phase 90, I even built a Bi-Phase clone for a friend two weeks ago and sounds as awesome, but it's just too damn big for me. The Phase II is really rich sounding, I can't recommend it enough

Unless it's something reprogrammable I don't use sockets, except for prototypes that are just going to end up in the salvage pile anyway.

And yep, the Phase II is the best phaser there is. No contest.
This! If the IC is a dud, I just snip it's legs and remove one by one and solder another one in its place, but usually I test dual opamps in a od circuit I have on my workbench that have a socket in for and only this very purpose hehe. And the man itself said it! Give the Phase II a shot

Some stuff is expensive and getting harder to find. Transistors sure solder away. That 20 dollar mn3005, that boi is getting sockets🤷. Also with sockets you can rob Peter to pay Paul in a pinch or if you've decided to abandon one build for another.
Being easy to cannibalize stuff between projects is really a great point

I mean with TL072's nearing $2 each I get it completely, but not for a finished build I plan to keep.

I always socket BBDs because I only have a few and I already know for a fact I'll be yanking them back out for the next prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean with TL072's nearing $2 each I get it completely, but not for a finished build I plan to keep.

I always socket BBDs because I only have a few and I already know for a fact I'll be yanking them back out for the next prototype.
I do too. I wonder if I can go back and scalp all of my TL072s….

Back