Restoring Rocket Sockets

finebyfine

Some of my most used rocket sockets (plastic non marring nut drivers: https://lovemyswitches.com/rocket-sockets-pedal-building-socket-set/) are pretty worn down. They’ve lasted me a long time and much longer than I would have assumed. But because I really only use 3 sizes, I was wondering if anyone’s ever restored them?

I’m considering either sawing off 1/4 inch where they’re worn or hitting them with some heat while they’re on a nut they fit. I’ll probably buy a new set anyway so there’s really nothing to lose. If anyone’s done similar I’d appreciate the insight!

Some of my most used rocket sockets (plastic non marring nut drivers: https://lovemyswitches.com/rocket-sockets-pedal-building-socket-set/) are pretty worn down. They’ve lasted me a long time and much longer than I would have assumed. But because I really only use 3 sizes, I was wondering if anyone’s ever restored them?

I’m considering either sawing off 1/4 inch where they’re worn or hitting them with some heat while they’re on a nut they fit. I’ll probably buy a new set anyway so there’s really nothing to lose. If anyone’s done similar I’d appreciate the insight!
I'm in the same boat. I did buy a new set recently but haven't started using it yet. I think what I'll end up doing is using a file or the like to file down each of them to where they're more usable again and use some sandpaper to smooth them out. That to me would be better than taking a saw to them.

Okay so here’s the plan…

FosYqol.jpg

Overkill you say? Well, alright…let’s try this…

SQLVcZ2.jpg

Slightly off topic, I've never used Rocket Sockets...

I just use a set of color coded deep well sockets by hand and never felt the need to do anything else, but what if you dipped the end of a regular deep well socket in Plasti-Dip? Wouldn't that give the durability of a metal socket along with the protection of the softer plastic/rubber?

maxresdefault.jpg

I printed myself a set of these:

@fig what is that beautiful hand cutting set?

I just use a set of color coded deep well sockets by hand and never felt the need to do anything else, but what if you dipped the end of a regular deep well socket in Plasti-Dip? Wouldn't that give the durability of a metal socket along with the protection of the softer plastic/rubber?

I just looked up non marring well sockets again - they're prohibitively expensive afaic - but seeing how they're constructed, and this idea, gave me the idea of just shrink wrapping the outside of a socket set because the inside doesn't need to be protected. But this might leave the very bottom rough.

Could also dip the contact surface of a socket into plasti-dip like you're using it as a stamp to only coat the very bottom plane.

I might have to buy some sockets and plastidip ...

@fig what is that beautiful hand cutting set?

I just looked up non marring well sockets again - they're prohibitively expensive afaic - but seeing how they're constructed, and this idea, gave me the idea of just shrink wrapping the outside of a socket set because the inside doesn't need to be protected. But this might leave the very bottom rough.

Could also dip the contact surface of a socket into plasti-dip like you're using it as a stamp to only coat the very bottom plane.

I might have to buy some sockets and plastidip ...
I just use parallel jaw pliers along with various things on the enclosure surface like electrical tape or a Nomex sheet with a cutout around the nut in question.

I also figured that lol

I'm just gonna buy some cheapo sockets off of AliExpress and kick the can down the road a few months lmao

I just don't push the socket all the way down to the enclosure...

I don't think I've ever scratched an enclosure, but I get the convenience of it.

I've only ever bought one set of actual rocket sockets, and I did cut off the worn edges a little at a time until they got too short then threw them out.

I printed myself a set of these:

Now I use exclusively 3D printed sockets. The designer of the commercialized rocket sockets posted step files to his v1 design a while ago and that's what I use. PLA with 100% infill has gone pretty well for me, but I got a resin printer in December and did a couple sets of resin rocket sockets, they hold up a lot better than even the original nylon ones.

I bought rocket sockets 30 seconds after I scratched off a uv printed dial indicator. I don't think I've ever scratched a painted finish either though

STL files for the sockets are available to download (from the author's blog). So anyone with a 3d printer can print a set. And make a donation to the author.
For reference:

I didn't know these files existed and stumbled onto the ones on Thingiverse.

Back