Arachnid part sub question

swelchy

Would it be fine if I subbed C7 15P for a or 30P? Tried measuring my 30p's and the lowest I found in the stash were 28P... Or should I go ahead and order the spec'd cap?
arachnidpartsub.png

The FV1 datasheet says that capacitor can range from 15 to 27pf depending on the crystal manufacturer

OK.. So what am I doing wrong? I've tried soldering the legs of two ceramic capacitors at 30p together and test them on my tester an I get no reading... tried with ceramic and the monolithic ones too.... tried several... and tested each one before soldering for value.. solder them and then it reads error...
seriescap.png

Very few DMMs can measure capacitance accurately below 1nF.

I use a little cheap $40 Amazon capacitance meter for low-value caps. Everyone likes to make fun of me about it. :ROFLMAO: 😩

(Just wait, the pic will show up shortly, I guarantee)

I'm using a cheapo meter as well.. it will show the 30p and if I put two caps in there parallel they will double the value.... but when I put them in series it shows an error or no reading.....

Very few DMMs can measure capacitance accurately below 1nF.

I use a little cheap $40 Amazon capacitance meter for low-value caps. Everyone likes to make fun of me about it. :ROFLMAO: 😩

(Just wait, the pic will show up shortly, I guarantee)
This li’l guy?

Dj95EIa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using a cheapo meter as well.. it will show the 30p and if I put two caps in there parallel they will double the value.... but when I put them in series it shows an error or no reading.....
Perhaps 30p is the bottom range

Another way to confirm it is to measure a 100pF cap (to see how far off 100 it is) and measure that in parallel with the “two 30pF series contraption from post #5” …much like you did with the two 30’s to get 60pF.

Then just subtract 100 (or whatever the 100pF cap measured).

I use that dual-cap method when measuring low-value caps.

Another way to confirm it is to measure a 100pF cap (to see how far off 100 it is) and measure that in parallel with the “two 30pF series contraption from post #5” …much like you did with the two 30’s to get 60pF.

Then just subtract 100 (or whatever the 100pF cap measured).

I use that dual-cap method when measuring low-value caps.
great advice! thanks

Next time just use the right capacitor. XTAL oscillators are finicky and kludging them is a bad idea. Disk ceramic caps are unreliable and I avoid them like the plague (whichever plague is going around these days).

Next time just use the right capacitor. XTAL oscillators are finicky and kludging them is a bad idea. Disk ceramic caps are unreliable and I avoid them like the plague (whichever plague is going around these days).
Noted…. I went ahead and used them in series and it worked out great… Going to order some better caps and a better range of values on my next stock up..

Back