Resources

I heard that Wampler wrote a good book on modding pedals. Found a PDF online. I'll get back to you on whether it teaches electronics or is simply a cookbook.
He has another book on design and building that goes more into how stuff works

Reactions: fig
Found and downloaded it. More in-depth than "How to Modify Guitar Pedals." Provides some discussion on why Brian did the mods he did and how they work. I noticed a few minor typos and technical errors, but on the whole it's a good read for someone who wants to learn about how pedals work.

I'm probably the wrong guy to recommend "a book from which to learn electronics" because that's so far from how I did it.

My path to learning electronics was a long one that started at an early age. In the beginning I learned a lot from reading electronics magazines and building Heathkits. Then I started taking electronic things apart. Sometimes I was able to put them back together again. The gaps in knowledge were gradually filled-in by school, experimentation and on-the-job training.

You guys with breadboards will learn a great deal from experimentation. When you read a description of how and why a pedal does what it does, breadboard it and experience its operation first-hand.

Breadboarding is SUPER helpful in learning how circuits work. Pedals or otherwise. I’m wondering if there’s a resource out there for beginner to intermediate that explains what you can do or make with many of the components for pedals or at least from Tayda (cheaper components) and the theory behind it. Kind of like the Electronics for Dummies book but with more projects. With the holiday season already here I’m trying to learn to make stuff that can do non-pedal things. Things like making Christmas lights where I can control the blinking. This may not be the forum to ask such questions

Reactions: fig
Top 3 resources I use:

1. This forum - the breadth and depth here is unparalleled
2. EE Helper App
3. Small Signal Audio Design by Douglas Self

edit to add - a very decent book on reading schematics is the Beginner’s Guide to Reading Schematics by Stan Gibilisco.

Last edited:
What about the one that started it all, Craig Anderton's Electronic Projects for Musicians

Back