Whipped Cream build questions

fig

Village Idiot
I'm thinking pin 1 is connected to the 1mΩ just below it, so pin 1 is bottom left, right...I mean correct?

Bonus round: SPST ON-ON switch?

Lika so..

wvtRBuq.jpg

It doesn't matter, the two sides of the transformer have almost identical specs. I installed mine with the Primary at the bottom, but either way is fine. (Just not sideways, although I have no idea how you'd even do it, someone might)

SPDT ON/OFF/ON.

• Love
Reactions: fig
Is there a rhyme or reason why you use fancy resistors in some places, mundane resistors in some places, carbon resistors in others?

Fancy = the hot dog looking ones
Mundane = Metal Film
Carbon = mojo

“The hot dog ones” typically have higher power rating in a smaller package size. They can be useful in certain applications (e.g., when in series with a power line with higher current draw circuits and smaller footprint requirements).

Is there a rhyme or reason why you use fancy resistors in some places, mundane resistors in some places, carbon resistors in others?

Fancy = the hot dog looking ones
Mundane = Metal Film
Carbon = mojo
Usually it boils down to what's on-hand, to keep from having to wait for an order to arrive. I don't buy carbon anymore but if I see one sticking out of the breadboard recycle box I'll test it and throw it in. I like the RNC55s because the leads are like oak trees and I don't have to bother testing each one. The mundane are sometimes from a sample book or odd lot I've picked up to fill in gap values.
This build came out pretty colorful as I had just stripped a good many breadboards :ROFLMAO:

Note on those enlarged u470s...I had some smaller ones shipped to Chuck, so again...what's on-hand.

I’m derailing my own thread….hopeless. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Here's the Phase II I'm working on...I bought a good many values of metal film 1/8watt when I first started. They come in handy once in awhile!

gnKvex3.jpg
I'd like to know where he gets the completely transparent ICs. I didn't even know they were a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: fig
It doesn't matter, the two sides of the transformer have almost identical specs. I installed mine with the Primary at the bottom, but either way is fine. (Just not sideways, although I have no idea how you'd even do it, someone might)

SPDT ON/OFF/ON.
Quick question on the SPDT functionality - the original seems to just have a 2 position internal dip switch, but with an on/off/on there are 3 positions on the Whipped Cream - what's the third one? I can hear differences in all three positions... but want to understand what's going on a bit more...

Back