Vick Audio Overdriver

Big Monk

I’ve been avoiding the bench and personal projects until I can deliver on my promise for the 2022 Giveaway Fuzzes.

However, tonight I had a simple project.

I’m generally opposed to modifying commercial pedals unless it was commissioned by someone or I know I’m keeping it forever.

In this case, my VA Overdriver is never leaving!

I run mine at 18 vDC and it is incredibly versatile. It’s a clean boost, low gain drive, medium gain drive and fuzzy drive all in one. It has a whopping amount of output.

With all that said, I had some complaints. Nothing major, and frankly, the same as many people using the circuit:

1.) RF Interference - This is well known in this circuit, especially with the drive control up.

2.) Gain Control Sweep - Or in this case, lack thereof. Most of the action is in the last 15-20% of the gain control. This isn’t a huge deal as the Overdriver has a Master Volume, but I was interested in getting inside and seeing what VA had used for the Drive control.

I opened it up and removed the board to see the value of the Drive pot. It was 1kB, meaning that VA knows their shit and reduced it down from the 10kB original to the circuit.

I subbed it out for 1kC.

My experiments with the Fuzz Face over the last 8 months on the breadboard showed me the ability of a reasonably sized cap across the input to completely shunt RF. My magic value is 2.2 nF so I strapped one across the input jack.

Lastly, since I was already in there, I insulated the output jack to make sure their were no grounding issues.

135FE8CC-59E2-4E76-9359-49762531A5A0.jpeg 1D022F7F-B905-449F-920C-456E464A7304.jpeg

Last edited:
Small update: I was able to play this over the last few days and I’m going to try a 1kA pit instead of 1kC.

Whereas the 1kB seemed to bunch all of the gain control toward the end, the 1kC has too much in the beginning, making the pedal a bit farty at settings I’d prefer it wasn’t.

Gonna pop the new pot in tonight.

RF, however is gone thanks to the 2.2n on the input.

Back