Dude, that's soooo metal!

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is a build I have been working on for quite some time and it's finally boxed up and done. You can read about my progress in this thread.

This really started out for me wanting for DIY a HM-2 circuit for a while. I do have a clone (Behringer I think. The pink one) but one of the jacks wouldn't hold onto the patch cable for a long time and was getting frustrated with it. The clone was only $20 so I'm not that upset by it. Anyways, I wanted something as metal as I could think of. I already have a sanguine distortion in a separate enclosure so I needed an alternative. The best thing I could think of was the Tyrian (Rev G3 clone). I originally thought I would be able to put a HM-2 and HM-3 in the same enclosure, but I was unhappy with the HM-3 circuit. In hindsight why would I want to put 2 similar sounding circuits in the same enclosure?

First I finished the HM-2, then I moved on to the G3. The HM-2 needs no explanation other than pure, Swedish chainsaw. It's a one tricky pony, I'll admit, but what a trick it does! The Tyrian has a very versatile/strong EQ and can dial in many different tones with it, albeit of the more metal variety. When gain is maxed out I do get some unwanted feedback and need to look into that a bit more. Definitely a strong contender and a good choice for metal sounds.

The enclosure. Gee WHiz! This took forever. I wanted the crackle effect really badly after seeing other builds out there with it. I bought the can from Amazon and was experimenting until I found a method that worked. I didn't want to buy the Montana brand regular paint since it's like $15 on Amazon and $4 for a can of Rustoleum. The secret, I found out the hard way, is to spray a few base coats and let it cure completely (few days). THEN, spray one more coat of base on a let it sit for 15 min and then apply the crackle paint. I didn't do the best job spraying the crackle in terms of crack consistency (sounds like an oxymoron), but for what this enclosure represents I am happy with it.

I didn't get a whole lot of time this morning with it, but I have plenty of time later and will definitely take advantage of it.

🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘BuddytheReow🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

1659544214492.png
1659544232210.png

The Tyrian has a very versatile/strong EQ and can dial in many different tones with it, albeit of the more metal variety. When gain is maxed out I do get some unwanted feedback and need to look into that a bit more. Definitely a strong contender and a good choice for metal sounds.

A shielded input wire seems to have helped me with this problem (assuming it's the same thing):

A shielded input wire seems to have helped me with this problem (assuming it's the same thing):
I saw your thread the other day. Where can I find shielded wire? Tayda?

I just cut up a cheap 1/4" patch cord that I had, because I was too impatient to wait to buy some. Tayda doesn't have shielded wire. I've seen the wire @MichaelW mentioned pop up a couple times on the forum.

The link I posted is to RG174 antenna wire. Basically....uh.....shielded cable. The first time I tried it I used some pedalboard patch cable. It looked like "Popeye Arms" in my pedal wiring hahaha......

img_2800-jpg.24705

Edit: Incidentally, this was an early build of mine. Interesting to see how my build quality has evolved. Hanging around you guys will do that to a person!!!

Back