Do you still purchase pedals?

kristopher

Do you still purchase pedals? How often? How many?
Even though you build, do you still treat yourself to a brand name or boutique pedal every now and then?
I've built about 20 over the last three years. Sold a few. Modified most. And I’ve bought 2. An EHX 360 Looper, and a Foxrox Octron3. And one Quaverato kit. So technically I bought 3.
I read through a thread on the gear page, where musicians and gear hounds confessed to many annual purchases. But no mention of building.
I’m just curious to hear from builders.

Not in 10 years. The last commercial pedal I've touched was my boss tuner. Sold that when they made the app.

I recently purchased an Iron Ether FMeron after lusting over it for years, other than that it’s probably been a good 2 years since the last purchase. I was a little disappointed to open up the FMeron and realize it was an FV-1 under the hood, nothing out of the reach of the diy community

I bought the Octron3 after getting frustrated with a Byoc Divided Octave I modded. Because my mods weren't reliable, and I had it on the bench more then the board. I wanted the tone of the analog sub punch when I gigged/jammed/noodled. And I felt I deserved a gift.
I don't regret that purchase one bit. It's a gem of a pedal.

Yes... generally because it is something that either isn't available in DIY form (T-Rex Replica, DTS Booster Driver, anything Strymon, etc.) or is something I really couldn't build cheaper (Boss Super OverDrive, etc.)

That may be the way to look at it; smallish collection of commercial pedals.
I was slow out of the gate to purchase pedals, and have played guitar since my youth. Never owning more then a few. Then one day my Big Muff needed some TLC, I popped it open, saw the guts, and the snowball began rolling.

Reactions: fig
Since getting into building I have only bought 4 but I’ve built way too many….
Supro Tremolo (then sold it)
Caroline Megabyte (then sold it)
Milkman FStop (then sold it)
Surfy Bear Reverb. (Still have it for now)

All due to gas from watching YouTube. For the most part I’ve been able to build equivalents.

I do, but it’s for effects that I don’t think will be easy to DIY, plus, they are pretty much from a group of people that have great ears and the smarts to know how to get there. So, I believe in supporting their craft.

Recent purchases were Free the Tone, both reverb and FF delay, PastFX Reticon Flanger (well, this one I coulda built, I think, but I like what they are doing (other than buying up many of the remaining chips..), and Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude. About a year ago, I got the Effectrode LA-1A, and that blew me away to the extent that I bought his Tube Vibe and then Fire Bottle.

Back