TL072 vs "TL072"

This is interesting. Thanks for making me more paranoid. Actually, thanks for doing this, I had no idea that simple stuff like this is being spoofed. Lesson learned. I bought a metric ton of 4558 from an Amazon seller that look really dodgy but so far sound quite good. Would be worth a test with a known good one, but apparently what's a "known good one"?

THIS is how a original TL072 from Texas Instruments looks like. Anything else will be a FAKE. You can buy it for 70 cents a piece from the TI site and be 100% sure you're buying the real deal
View attachment 30304
That's what the TL072s I bought recently from Tayda look like, but without the lovely spotless green background. 🤪

Funny that 75c seems a lot for what is arguably the heart of so many circuits when we are often ok with spending $3 per knob. And we need more of those! Lately I've been getting into aluminium knobs (insert innuendo here) and man they can get spendy.

That's what the TL072s I bought recently from Tayda look like, but without the lovely spotless green background. 🤪

Funny that 75c seems a lot for what is arguably the heart of so many circuits when we are often ok with spending $3 per knob. And we need more of those! Lately I've been getting into aluminium knobs (insert innuendo here) and man they can get spendy.
I know my workbench looks disgusting, is the result of washing lots of pcb's with IPA and not taking the time to clean the workbench itself hahaha. Nice you got original ones from Tayda, the last few TL072's I got there were fakes, but the TL071's were the real deal, crazy stuff haha

Ha! My workbench isn't much better! The crop tool is your friend (and mine).

I'll have to look at some of my other TL072s to see if any are fakes. Handy to have the reference.

now im looking at all my chips i bought wondering if i got fake chips , this is just one more thing for a new builder to have to learn . the ones i have look like the legit ones but some of my pedals dont sound so great , so was i needing to blame it on fake chips now i just have my poor understanding of how this all works to blame.🤣

Necro

I saw @Guilherme Collateral posted about this in @Hirti 's XC Phase build report and thought to search for or create an encompassing fakes thread. At first I was thinking "yeah right! Not gonna find any fakes in my collection! I'm savvy! I'm judicious!" …and then reality set in and I figured I should take a look. Maaaayyybe I would find one or two in there. Little did I know it would be all of them (since rebuilding my parts bin coming back to this arena) :|

Coming from a retro computing hobby community, fakes were a real problem for the big things, like original CPUs (because apparently there's a market for fake/fake-bin Motorola 68040s…). No idea that things like op-amps would even be subjects of counterfeiting, but then again there are fake BJTs all over eBay, too :unsure: . In my mind it was like if some career fraudster decided one day: "nah, not gonna counterfeit $100 bills anymore, I'm gonna do nickels from now on!"

While I do think perhaps a central 'fakes' thread could be useful for first time buyers especially, I'll keep this post about TL072s: some identical fakes seen and one really weird/funny looking one from my stash. Bought some for a friend on my last Tayda order, and those turned out to look legit, thankfully. Also put a couple of other (hopefully) legit ones in there as well. It's like they looked at the old TI logo to copy, but their version of stableDiffusion isn't up to date : P

rKbgbLN.jpg

The bird is the word, I guess?

R39LRJY.jpg

The one with the bird is also fake, but the third one, the ua741 and the OP07 are original. Not sure about the TL061 tho

Necro

I saw @Guilherme Collateral posted about this in @Hirti 's XC Phase build report and thought to search for or create an encompassing fakes thread. At first I was thinking "yeah right! Not gonna find any fakes in my collection! I'm savvy! I'm judicious!" …and then reality set in and I figured I should take a look. Maaaayyybe I would find one or two in there. Little did I know it would be all of them (since rebuilding my parts bin coming back to this arena) :|

Coming from a retro computing hobby community, fakes were a real problem for the big things, like original CPUs (because apparently there's a market for fake/fake-bin Motorola 68040s…). No idea that things like op-amps would even be subjects of counterfeiting, but then again there are fake BJTs all over eBay, too :unsure: . In my mind it was like if some career fraudster decided one day: "nah, not gonna counterfeit $100 bills anymore, I'm gonna do nickels from now on!"

While I do think perhaps a central 'fakes' thread could be useful for first time buyers especially, I'll keep this post about TL072s: some identical fakes seen and one really weird/funny looking one from my stash. Bought some for a friend on my last Tayda order, and those turned out to look legit, thankfully. Also put a couple of other (hopefully) legit ones in there as well. It's like they looked at the old TI logo to copy, but their version of stableDiffusion isn't up to date : P

rKbgbLN.jpg

The bird is the word, I guess?

R39LRJY.jpg

"Are you even trying anymore, fakers?"

gR6sxu1.jpg
Ti2IsGL.jpg

I have to check the NE5532. I don't know if all the chips in their catalogue look like the TL072, but I had a bad run of Klones a few years ago due to fake TL072s and I exchanged some e-mails with TI. I've been since buying most of my opamps in the Texas Instruments site, it's cheaper than everywhere else and they deliver really fast to Brasil!

If you’re looking to save money, I’ve been buying TL072s made by HGSemi and UTC from LCSC for personal and prototype builds and saving TI chips for commissions. Can’t recall if I’ve used one in a clean circuit though. As a longtime and frequent AliExpress chip gambler LCSC has pretty much curbed my habit.

Back