TH Black Eye (Soldano GTO) prototype build

Is anyone experiencing squealing with the ribbon cable? @Betty Wont I couldn’t find a mention of what wiring you’re using.
Do ribbons have any shielding ability? Im pretty sure my issue is due to the spaghetti wires I ran. I’m also not to bothered as I love the sound below 10 o’clock on the gain. But it would be cool to resolve the squeal and know what caused it.

Do ribbons have any shielding ability? Im pretty sure my issue is due to the spaghetti wires I ran. I’m also not to bothered as I love the sound below 10 o’clock on the gain. But it would be cool to resolve the squeal and know what caused it.
I've seen at least one build report with really spaghetti wiring and it was positive without squealing. Does anyone else's squeal without anything plugged into the input?

I'm not even getting sound but I think that's more a break in connection, I tried putting it in with a 2in ribbon when it needs a 2.5 min, this is also the board I had a trace come loose so I may have to try on the 2nd board, it's just at half the resistors in while I wait for the rest from Tayda.

I loosened up and removed the footswitch from the box and bent the wiring back as far away from the circuit as possible. Moving the wires doesn't change the behavior at all.

Mine squeals like a stuck pig if nothing is plugged in. At any gain or volume. Plugged in it's totally quiet even with vol and gain at max (although holy crap is it loud). If the squealing bothers you it can be tamed with a normal amp approach and using a shorting jack to shunt to ground.

Mine uses rather crappy ribbon cable that I think I might have picked up from Tayda . Works fine but wouldn't want to move the wire too many times. Also the tone control is just a high end roll-off and not a lot of range but takes the edge off nicely.

Mine squeals like a stuck pig if nothing is plugged in. At any gain or volume. Plugged in it's totally quiet even with vol and gain at max (although holy crap is it loud). If the squealing bothers you it can be tamed with a normal amp approach and using a shorting jack to shunt to ground.
Mine squeals the same with guitars plugged in too.

No input cable and it’s the same.
So if I use shielded cable for the input/output where should I solder the shield to. The ground lug?
Next guess would be to run the switch wires like the other slo post on here. Backside of the board and over to the side down to switch.

So if I use shielded cable for the input/output where should I solder the shield to. The ground lug?
Next guess would be to run the switch wires like the other slo post on here. Backside of the board and over to the side down to switch.
Moving the wires on mine didn't change the issue. I dont see this as a shielding issue. The oscillation is coming from the board.

Reactions: fig
Here is the other post
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/black-eye-build…-omg.12847/

Are we sure it’s not the input/output jacks needing shielded cables?

I thought maybe it was the wires running close to that open inductor coil but the Porto build has it the same way and no squeal. I wonder if we all got a bad batch of the Ic? That chip is also used in signal generator builds so I can see that sound being produced in there. I will try the shielding and order a new IC from mouser. We shall track this down and solve it.

Moving the wires on mine didn't change the issue. I dont see this as a shielding issue. The oscillation is coming from
Moving the wires on mine didn't change the issue. I dont see this as a shielding issue. The oscillation is coming from the board.
Stupid question but would isolated jacks perhaps narrow down the issue? Or even just removing the jacks from the enclosure to see if there is a grounding issue?

Mine has the Mouser NE555 in it I also have some from stompbox I slated for relay boards.. I'll get back to ya. and the mouser bought was a TI, who're like right next door in the global economy. but I need to get soud 1st, which would be better just putting in new single wires or moving what I can to new board or just start over raw with the Tayda parts... :unsure:

Last edited:
With cable plugged in and me holding the 1/4 jack on the other end no squeal at all but tons of noise. The grounding issue may be the problem?

Back