Abider/Dude C25k question

Ratimus

Anyone built one of these with a value other than C25k for the"deep" control? I was going to use C20k, but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if I'm going to miss that 20% of the range. I'm not gonna buy a C25k because I'm stubborn, so it's either build it with the C20k or use an A25k and wire it backwards (so now it's a "shallow" control). Thoughts?

Or use a B25k, or hack a C25k from a B50k...

I'll probably just hack a higher value linear pot and not have to live life wondering what I'm missing out on.

I used a C20K, I'll have to compare to my actual Dude and see what I'm missing or not, now!

Super sneaky! Pics of stealth resistor mod included for posterity in case anybody is interested.
so when you do this you are just bridging 2 & 3 with the leg of the resistor? I’ve done this when I was only using 2 legs of the pot but didn’t know if it would work with 3.

The resistor goes from pin 1 to pin 3 - not to 2. The pot is a resistor with a wiper (pin 2) sweeping across it. So by adding the resistor you are altering the value of the "resistor".

Not the most elegant solution, but you could use a C50K dual pot and parallel the two gangs together.

Tayda has one but it's splined shaft / PCB pin mount, so it'd take a little wiring, but it would work and would give you C25K.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, StompBoxParts has the correct part now.

You can create a near-perfect approximation of a C25K pot with a B250K pot in parallel with a 28K resistor (the resistor goes from lug 1 to 3). 28k resistors are uncommon, so you could either measure some 5% 27k resistors until you find one that's close to 28k, use a 27k resistor and be content with a 24.4k pot (well within typical tolerances anyway. this is what I'd do), or put a 27k and a 1k in series with each other.

Back