EV Preamp

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Things seemed quiet here today, so I thought I'd post a build I knocked out yesterday.

This is the EV Preamp that was recently added. As I understand it, it's the preamp section of the Univibe.

I have very little experience with Univibes (except for a Deja Vibe I owned for a hot minute).

But this is supposed to be like the EP3 style preamps in that they are a "tone sweetener" or "tone warmer" as opposed to a true preamp or boost.
This is very true of this build. There's very little gain available. Even maxed there's only about 3db gain over unity.

As a tone sweetener, it's an extremely subtle effect. More subtle than the EP style preamps I've built (Episode Booster, Clandestine Preamp).

Pushing an moderate gain amp setting or pedal doesn't seem to do much.
It really shines, however, in low gain situations. It adds a bit of boost, a bit of warmth and a bit of clarity all at the same time. Like it "lifts" the tone in the mix a bit.

But again, it's very subtle. Neat pedal, and glad I built it, but I don't see it will get a lot of play time.

I also have the Celsius Preamp on the bench that is in the same vein, we'll see if that one sounds any different.

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

Interesting findings. I cut the intensity of my full electrovibe to get this effect and I find it’s not great on distortion in chorus mode but vibrato mode sounds excellent with a fuzz. Like you though the real sweetener comes with low gain basically clean single coil tone like with my strat or the middle position of my tele. Kinda hard to describe I may just have to record it

Back