Pro-10 Dual Overdrive Help

BadBoomy

Hello everyone. I just finished putting together the Pro-10 (Protein) Dual Overdrive and I'm not getting any signal when the green (right) side is engaged. The blue side works fine, and the signal passes through when both are bypassed. When the green side is engaged, the LED lights up but there is no audio passing through (outside of some of noise when I turn the volume pot). I didn't substitute any components, so I don't think that's the cause. I've checked and double checked the offboard wiring and I'm not seeing any obvious issues there either.
Here's an imgur link to a photo of the circuit board: And a link to a youtube video of what I'm getting:
Hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction of what to try next. I haven't had a problem like this before with previous builds, so I'm a bit stumped. Thank you in advance!

Photos of the solder side will probably help.

Given that one side is working, your power is probably working, unless there is a broken track or poor solder.

An audio probe will probably show you where the signal is being lost. That will then show you where to look - most likely it is a bad joint.

Reactions: fig
Alright, I was able to take the pedal out of the enclosure and look at it; however, I didn't notice any issues with any solder joints. I tested the pedal outside of it's enclosure, and both sides worked as expected, implying (I believe) that the enclosure is causing a short circuit somewhere. I tried using electrical tape to cover the spots where I believed this was happening (I believe the bolt holding the LED bezels in place was touching the leg of the tone pot on the green side).
Thinking that I had solved the problem, I put the pedal into the enclosure and tested it. Now, the pedal doesn't pass any signal at all, either in bypass or with either side turned on. I took the pedal out of the enclosure again, and same issue - the pedal isn't passing any signal at all. I've checked the solder joints on the input/output jacks and DC jack and they are still solid (my initial though was that putting the pedal in and out of the enclosure several times might have loosened/broken them). At this point, I'm fairly annoyed and need to take a break for a bit.
As for the audio probe suggestion - I don't have one and haven't used one before, but that does sound like it could help zero in on the problem.

The pots we can see look as if they are insulated on the back with electrical tape. If that is the case that may well be your problem if all the other pots are done the same way. That tape is very prone to being pierced by the cut ends of soldered leads. That would also explain things getting worse over time - more breaks in the insulation. Personally I use the pot covers that you can buy. I know others have had success with other things as well. I have a commercial pedal that uses the thick foamy tape. If it was me I would try using the double sided foam tape with hard plastic stuck to it - like clear plastic cut from a box or similar maybe. anyway, first things first, with the pedal out of the box make sure the pots are nowhere near the board. If that improved something for you then you will need to improve that insulation before boxing it again

Back