1590BB Three in One Pedal

Ctrl4Smilerz

I would like to build something like this. It's two TS-808s and a Ross style compressor with a switch that lets you put the compressor in the front or back of the chain. As far as I know there are no PCBs for a double TS-808. I could use 2x Little Green Scream Machine and Aurora Compressor from AionFX but don't think I could get them to fit. Would I be better off doing perfboards, or are there smaller PCBs available?

I would like to build something like this. It's two TS-808s and a Ross style compressor with a switch that lets you put the compressor in the front or back of the chain. As far as I know there are no PCBs for a double TS-808. I could use 2x Little Green Scream Machine and Aurora Compressor from AionFX but don't think I could get them to fit. Would I be better off doing perfboards, or are there smaller PCBs available?
You definitely wouldn’t fit two scream machines and the Aion compressor all in a 1590bb. Probably not even a 1590XX, which is what the pedal in the reverb listing looks like. If you’re dead set on a 1590bb, I think your only option if probably to use 3 1590A-sized boards. I remember seeing a 1590A sized Ross/dynacomp somewhere. The only 1590A sized Tubescreamer board I can think of is the Fuzzpup Tube Screamer from FuzzDog, but there may be someone else with a similar sized board. I thought Madbean had one, but I’m not seeing it anywhere on their site.

Or designing your own board. You’d be able to cut down on redundant circuit blocks and streamline the layout.
True, but I always feel funny suggesting that to people if I don’t know their experience level with electronics in general, since I’d figure some majority of the diy pedal community as a whole don’t have experience in using a PCB CAD and wouldn’t be comfortable with designing their own board. I think most people with the skill set to make PCB layouts would think to do that themselves, and a triple effect layout is a pretty tough starting point.

That said, to the OP— if you’re fairly confident in your troubleshooting abilities and you want to learn to design your own PCB layouts, why not jump in head first! Us folks here could give you pointers and check your layouts for glaring errors before you place an order for the boards if you go that route.

True, but I always feel funny suggesting that to people if I don’t know their experience level with electronics in general, since I’d figure some majority of the diy pedal community as a whole don’t have experience in using a PCB CAD and wouldn’t be comfortable with designing their own board. I think most people with the skill set to make PCB layouts would think to do that themselves, and a triple effect layout is a pretty tough starting point.

That said, to the OP— if you’re fairly confident in your troubleshooting abilities and you want to learn to design your own PCB layouts, why not jump in head first! Us folks here could give you pointers and check your layouts for glaring errors before you place an order for the boards if you go that route.
Thank you. Could you recommend any resources to getting started with PCB design and CAD?

You’d be hard pressed to be able to stomp on three switches in a 1590bb.
I’ve done 3 and even 4 switches in a 1590BB without issue. With a 3-switch BB layout, the real key is to have the outer two switches as low-profile stomp switches with the backing nut set to lower their height as much as you can, and then the middle switch raised up quite a bit so you can hit it without hitting either of the other two.

Thank you. Could you recommend any resources to getting started with PCB design and CAD?
I’m far from the most experienced PCB designer here, so I don’t know that I can offer the *most* useful advice (I sorta just messed around with stuff to figure things out. I still have to refer to Google to figure out how to do certain basic things since I can never remember the hotkeys) but my preferred program is DipTrace. In my opinion it’s a lot less straining on the eyes, and it’s more intuitive to use than the other programs I’ve tried (KiCad and Eagle). There are some good pedal component libraries you can find on the DIYstompboxes and Madbean forums. If you’re not in a huge rush to build this pedal, starting with a simple Electra or LPB circuit might be a good way to get used to the software.

I’ve done 3 and even 4 switches in a 1590BB without issue. With a 3-switch BB layout, the real key is to have the outer two switches as low-profile stomp switches with the backing nut set to lower their height as much as you can, and then the middle switch raised up quite a bit so you can hit it without hitting either of the other two.
4 in a 1590bb? That insanity!

Back