Restoring Rocket Sockets

To be fair, some of the UV printing can be rather temperamental. I lifted a 1mm dot indicator with my finger a few weeks ago (double pass white on black sand, no gloss).

Oh yeah like I 100% should not have printed that one the way I did - that part would've come off pretty quick anyway

Yep, that's what I mean. Not enough to get any of the dip inside the socket, just ..... the tip. 🤦‍♂️

Harbor Freight has these, I have a set of metric and SAE. They also have Plasti-DIp.
67865_W3.jpg
That's essentially what I use, minus the colors. I never noticed any marring of surfaces.

as an owner of both rocket sockets and regular sockets I'm wondering what kind of magilla gorilla tightening you're doing to wear them out when they're not meant for any real torque in the first place

as an owner of both rocket sockets and regular sockets I'm wondering what kind of magilla gorilla tightening you're doing to wear them out when they're not meant for any real torque in the first place
I've probably used them to build 100 or so pedals. Figure a few times I grab one that's a close enough size to work but isn't the exact right size on accident and then a handful of times trying to overtighten a quarter turn. I'm surprised they even lasted this long

I don't know if I have diagnosable OCD, but my brain makes me tighten things as tight as possible. Because WHAT IF THEY COME LOOSE??? So I go through sockets fairly regularly. The money I've saved 3D printing sockets instead of buying new sets covers the cost of my new 3D printer 200% or so.

I'm waiting for someone to list a Torque wrench setting for Alpha, Tayda, Cusack & so on ....... !
I just tighten 'em til my wrist clicks!!!

I'm waiting for someone to list a Torque wrench setting for Alpha, Tayda, Cusack & so on ....... !
That would be helpful. I've only broken one pot from overtightening, but I've broken a handful of toggle switches.

it’s almost the only time I pull my socket set out at this point. I mean, I’m careful not to press the fronts of the sockets against the pedal, but if your finish can’t take that, then it’s not going to stand up too well as a stomp box, will it? In terms of torque, I just hold the bare socket in my hand and turn it, so it’s always seemed safe to just give it a good snug.

We just sand down rocket sockets at the shop to get more life. Some heavier grit (~80) sandpaper to do the real work and shave off 1-2mm, then something finer (~120 to 220 grit) to clean it up.

For board mounted pots, we just finger tight and then apply a bit of torque with a socket. With all the pots and toggles mounted, it should stay in place for its life. No need to tighten much beyond that or you'll risk twisting the pot legs and stressing the solder joints. For panel mounted (usually solder lug) pots, hold the pot firmly in place and give that a bit of extra torque compared to board mounted.

Back