Space Heater - simple tube preamp

Just coming back to say I really want that dc-30 preamp. Please make it happen @vigilante398 🙏
I mean it would be a piece of cake in SMD, I'll have to take a look and see what could be done in through hole. If I could make it fit in a box it would likely be a big one and would likely be more difficult to assemble than Black Eye or Space Heater.

I mean it would be a piece of cake in SMD, I'll have to take a look and see what could be done in through hole. If I could make it fit in a box it would likely be a big one and would likely be more difficult to assemble than Black Eye or Space Heater.
Tbh ultimately I'd want it in a big box with the firebox and IR loader. Maybe one of those cute Hammond ones with the wood sides or something. I'm also not afraid of SMD, I just can't make it as neat

Just wanna say if you ever do a DR Wattson style diy pcb, I’ll be all over it. Planning on buying one of the fullly built ones from you when I have the money to, but if there was a PCB of/like it too… well, then I’d have even more HiWatty fun 😋

Alright, I got in some 125B from Stompboxparts yesterday, and the board fits! I can close the lid and everything 😁 so I've ordered a couple dozen more and as soon as I get a shipping confirmation on them I'll open up ordering for the Space Heater PCBs. That will also give me time to put together a drill template for those that want to drill the box themselves.

Also I found out yesterday that I messed up the drilling on a handful (8) of pre-drilled enclosures that I sold with the Black Eye PCBs, so I'm going to put together a Tayda drilling template for Black Eye so people can just get boxes themselves, which obviously makes powdercoating and UV printing an option from Tayda. I can do the same thing with Space Heater, the caveat being that with Tayda's thicker boxes you would need to grind down a couple spots on the lip of the bottom plate.

I'm sharing these from another forum, it's a Space Heater build in a pre-drilled enclosure. The builder added an LED behind the tube and also added a soft-switching relay bypass. Finish is acid etched and apparently fine buffed. Looks gorgeous, I love how it came out and he digs the sound.

Space Heater diy-03.jpg Space Heater diy-02.jpg

I'm sharing these from another forum, it's a Space Heater build in a pre-drilled enclosure. The builder added an LED behind the tube and also added a soft-switching relay bypass. Finish is acid etched and apparently fine buffed. Looks gorgeous, I love how it came out and he digs the sound.

View attachment 30572View attachment 30573
I can't wait to build mine! I think I'm going to do the Space Heater first as that's the one pedal I'm most interest in. Just waiting for my Tayda order with some additional bits and pieces to arrive!

I might have to order one of these now. I love the Black eye. I can’t find any videos of guitars through it though. It’s all bass. Have tubes ready to build. Lol.

I might have to order one of these now. I love the Black eye. I can’t find any videos of guitars through it though. It’s all bass. Have tubes ready to build. Lol.
I don't have any videos, but if you look on my website and scroll down there are some tabs on the side: Additional Information, Bass Demos, and Guitar Demos. They're not much, but they're something. I cater more to bassists as they make up the vast majority of my customers for finished pedals, so you're more likely to find bassists with my stuff than guitarists.

I don't have any videos, but if you look on my website and scroll down there are some tabs on the side: Additional Information, Bass Demos, and Guitar Demos. They're not much, but they're something. I cater more to bassists as they make up the vast majority of my customers for finished pedals, so you're more likely to find bassists with my stuff than guitarists.

Nice! I will check these out when I get home today.

Space Heater question....I have lots of questions today:)

I'm really digging the Space Heater as a standalone overdrive as well as a booster.

I'm playing around with the idea of using it in a different way, as the last pedal before my digital interface to provide some tube warmth going into the DAC's. Problem is there's too much gain with a 12AX7 and I can't really dial out the dirt.

I've been looking at some "preamp tube gain factor" video's and wondering if going to a 12AU7 will give me enough gain reduction to get a clean but tubey signal for this use case.

Thoughts? TIA!

Space Heater question....I have lots of questions today:)

I'm really digging the Space Heater as a standalone overdrive as well as a booster.

I'm playing around with the idea of using it in a different way, as the last pedal before my digital interface to provide some tube warmth going into the DAC's. Problem is there's too much gain with a 12AX7 and I can't really dial out the dirt.

I've been looking at some "preamp tube gain factor" video's and wondering if going to a 12AU7 will give me enough gain reduction to get a clean but tubey signal for this use case.

Thoughts? TIA!
Absolutely, I have a lot of people tell me they prefer a 12AU7 or 12AY7 in the Space Heater for clean tube warmth with no grit.

Geeeze, I just ordered some 12AU7 and now I need to order more ... Between the Heater and the Foxtrot... and I've still gotta get an extra set for one of the Black Eyes in case my friend prefers his Black Eye more purple than black...

Geeeze, I just ordered some 12AU7 and now I need to order more ... Between the Heater and the Foxtrot... and I've still gotta get an extra set for one of the Black Eyes in case my friend prefers his Black Eye more purple than black...
I just ordered a JJ 12AU7 from AmplifiedParts for my next Space Heater build. If it works out well for my use case I might splurge and get a Genelex Gold Lion or Mullard reissue. But.........now I think I'm on the hook for an Echo Foxtrot once they're on his website...heh.

Echo Foxtrot uses an EF86 though, DO NOT use a 12A*7 family tube in place of an EF86, it will not work and everyone will have a bad day. Take a wild guess how I know this.

EDIT: You can also use Soviet 6Ж32П (6J32P) as they're the same thing as EF86.

Back