TH Black Eye (Soldano GTO) prototype build

Due to the number of reports of squeals, I'm going to try building up another board or two to see if I can replicate the issue. I wasn't planning to revise the board yet as I still have a fair number on hand, but if it would solve problems people are finding then I'm open to trying it.

Not necessarily... Welcome to my world.

There are many variables at play. I couldn't tell you how many people have built the Tyrian Distortion... but every now and then someone will come along claiming the circuit oscillates. I can't reproduce it, and I've tried. I've built several, not once have I had one that oscillates... not once.

There was a TL074 version, then a completely new layout reworked for TL072's... I've never had a single one oscillate even a peep regardless of how sloppy I wire it up. I've twisted the input / output wires together, run extra long wires to the pots, left it unboxed, etc.... nothing.
Love my Tyrian

Would including a basic RF filter right before the first active stage (I.e. v1a’s grid) possibly help with oscillation? Some pF cap to ground might be all it takes? Maybe every triode grid could get a cap to ground?

Just throwing out ideas, not sure if they are practical! I’ve seen a few pedals that have input RF filters. Many years ago, I built the Neurochrome Modulus86 power amp (hifi, not guitar), it also has an input RF filter. That amp is particularly interesting, because it’s a composite amp, which is a simple concept, but in practice requires a lot of real engineering to work as intended across all the corner cases. (Here I’m just parroting what I’ve read, I don’t have real knowledge about composite topologies!)

I threw a boss sd1 before mine and that pretty much fixed my squealing.
Still a little with both gain and volume maxed. After playing it in front of my jcm800 gain at 9 o’clock and volume at around 1 o’clock sounds awesome.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Cool, what was Tayda supplied & what was sourced elsewhere????
Are you using a buffered pedal in front of your Builds????
This needs to be sorted as the topic could get out of hand & we like harmony!!!
Well, I reached out to a Member who has built 4 or more with no issues but has gone MIA since!??????????
I will let you draw your own thoughts on that!

Last edited:
Well, I reached out to a Member who has built 4 or more with no issues but has gone MIA since!??????????
I will let you draw your own thoughts on that!
my thoughts on it are that not everyone here spends very much time on this site. Doesn't seem like a big conspiracy that warrants ten question marks or claims of people going "MIA" after a single day. 😉

They joined a year and a half ago and have only posted 85 times. giving leeway and taking into account the fact that they sometimes post more than once in the same day, that's an average of once per 8 days. to give a safe wiggle room, I wouldn't say they're MIA until its around double that–– sound the alarms if we still haven't heard anything by the 23rd.

my thoughts on it are that not everyone here spends very much time on this site. Doesn't seem like a big conspiracy that warrants ten question marks or claims of people going "MIA" after a single day. 😉

They joined a year and a half ago and have only posted 85 times. giving leeway and taking into account the fact that they sometimes post more than once in the same day, that's an average of once per 8 days. to give a safe wiggle room, I wouldn't say they're MIA until its around double that–– sound the alarms if we still haven't heard anything by the 23rd.
I see it from a different view, Built 4 with no issues is great but the discussion was about multiple builds with issues.
If I made that statement I would have continued with '' All my parts were from Tayda, Mouser or whatever''
My 2 cents!!!

I see it from a different view, Built 4 with no issues is great but the discussion was about multiple builds with issues.
If I made that statement I would have continued with '' All my parts were from Tayda, Mouser or whatever''
My 2 cents!!!
I get what you’re saying, and I think there’s a bit of a disconnect between what I’ve said and how it was interpreted— I’m just saying that he’s not a super active member on the forum, and he probably just hasn’t come back around to this thread to answer anything. To you it might seem obvious to give more details about where you sourced parts for a build with problems. For him, he may have seen that people were trying to figure out problems with the builds and thought that confirming that his builds work would confirm “hey, it’s possible to get these to work” and went along with his day. Not everyone is going to read through every post in a thread before they comment, and not everyone is going to know every bit of information they should include. Chances are we’ll eventually hear from him about his builds, but in the meantime, there’s no reason to assume there’s anything wrong with the fact that we haven’t.

Here's a Question?
What Brand of 10uF 250V Electrolytic cap did you receive from Tayda for the Black Eye????
Mine was ChongX - Green with a Gold stripe!!!
It measure's 9.00 uF.

for something usually with a tolerance of 20% to only be off by 10% isn't that bad. I still need the 4, .022 630v caps to test if it's the NE555's or something else, I have 5 from Stompbox, 1~2 from Mouser and 2 from Tayda, all TI insignia and most same numbers after the NE555P(SB and tayda's so doubt they're fakes and Mouser looks to be a different run). I have used other sourced 2n3904's. My 1st build made no sound at all but worked in bypass, and I believe I had a thread that changed to what spots to jumper after I toasted a trace or 2 and needed to know when I could get the new 1.

I'm looking to Vigilante398's progress with a board to see if it can be repeated or just gremlins.

for something usually with a tolerance of 20% to only be off by 10% isn't that bad. I still need the 4, .022 630v caps to test if it's the NE555's or something else, I have 5 from Stompbox, 1~2 from Mouser and 2 from Tayda, all TI insignia and most same numbers after the NE555P(SB and tayda's so doubt they're fakes and Mouser looks to be a different run). I have used other sourced 2n3904's. My 1st build made no sound at all but worked in bypass, and I believe I had a thread that changed to what spots to jumper after I toasted a trace or 2 and needed to know when I could get the new 1.

I'm looking to Vigilante398's progress with a board to see if it can be repeated or just gremlins.
I know that they also send Samxon 10uF 250V - Black with a Grey Stripe.

When I receive my Black Eye PCB & finish the Build, if there is a problem with Squeal & Oscillation directly to the Amp, I will insert the Simple Jfet Buffer I built today. I'm a bit rusty as it's been awhile since I have built my eyelet Board pedals but it turned out OK!
The only thing I'm not sure of yet is I'm using a 10uf 25v Tantalum capacitor which may not work at the Input.
I may have to change to 10uf MLCC, which is not available in Australia!!! :
It measures 37mm X 23mm with 2mm FR4 Board :

Simple Jfet Buffer Component Board 1.jpg Simple Jfet Buffer Component Board 2.jpg Simple Buffer.jpg

Last edited:
My 2 cents!!!

I've built 4 now. No issues at all.
He confirmed the following to me, THANKS Matt!
All of his parts were from Tayda except Tube Sockets & jj ECC83S Tubes.
He didn't confirm if he had a buffered pedal in front ?? :
Maybe splitting the wires into 2 pairs of 3 is an alternative????

Black Eye.jpg

Mine was whining. I used a pretty crappy power supply. One of those 12 volt ones from LoveMySwitches. I think I only have 200ma 12volt off good power on my 1Spot CS-7. I love the pedal except for the whining. The more gain the more whining. I'm going to try a really good power supply, first. Then, I'm going to try a buffer in front of it. Then, I'm going to try shielded cable for the input and output. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mine was whining. I used a pretty crappy power supply. One of those 12 volt ones from LoveMySwitches. I think I only have 200ma 12volt off good power on my 1Spot CS-7. I love the pedal except for the whining. The more gain the more whining. I'm going to try a really good power supply, first. Then, I'm going to try a buffer in front of it. Then, I'm going to try shielded cable for the input and output. I'll let you know how it goes.
Was it Unregulated or Switchmode type ( Multi Wall Voltages) ?

I tried a couple other PS incl my 1Spot (9v) and got the same result. I just remembered that I made a 12V linear power supply several years, ago. I will give that a try. Then I will put a buffer in front. I will also make sure that all the parts are the correct parts. Then I'm going to get the DMM and the scope out. That is the sound I've chasing for a long time (except for the whine). I'm determined to get it working. It's a fairly simple circuit so I should be able to figure it out. Unfortunately, I've got a bunch of work, today. I work at home so I should at least get to try the 12 volt linear PS.

I tried a couple other PS incl my 1Spot (9v) and got the same result. I just remembered that I made a 12V linear power supply several years, ago. I will give that a try. Then I will put a buffer in front. I will also make sure that all the parts are the correct parts. Then I'm going to get the DMM and the scope out. That is the sound I've chasing for a long time (except for the whine). I'm determined to get it working. It's a fairly simple circuit so I should be able to figure it out. Unfortunately, I've got a bunch of work, today. I work at home so I should at least get to try the 12 volt linear PS.
Let us know if you figure it out. I have 2 builds of this now and the same issue.

Back