Introducing... the Pterodactyl Phaser - AionFX Boss PH-1R clone...

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Back in February, I finished my first build of the AionFX Emerald clone of the Boss PH-1R phaser. It was a really nice pedal, in fact it is finding a semi-permanent home on my pedal board, but I built it in the middle of my "try and match the original" enclosure kick, and while it succeeded on that front, it's a little bit vanilla.

Aion Emerald - 04.jpg

So, since I'm revamping and trying to come up with a lot of good dinosaur themed pedals, I figured, what the heck. The PH-1R is a solid pedal with a lot of flexibility, it deserves another look!

Aion Emerald - Pterodactyl Phaser - 02.jpg

As with the previous build, used nearly all modern components to populate the PCB - the only exception is I ended up using a fair number of Panasonic metal film capacitors. They're extremely high quality and seem to work for a Japanese pedal. Another difference this time around was the fact that I decided to use right angle pin headers rather than making jumpers for the matched set of JFETs. It gives the pedal a neat look and it allowed me to line everything up perfectly. I was running short MLCC capacitors, so I ended up substituting a silver mica capacitor in one of the builds (the large yellow capacitor bottom center).

This isn't a particularly easy build, but it isn't terribly complex either. The part count is high and the part density is high, but the soldering pads are well-spaced and as long as you're using fairly standard components in terms of length, width, and lead spacing, it all fits just fine!

Aion Emerald - Pterodactyl Phaser - 03.jpg

For the pedal name, I wanted to make a reference to the book P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever by Raj Haldar (Author), Chris Carpenter (Author), and Maria Beddia (Illustrator). The book is a tongue in cheek take on classic children's alphabet books where the letters all have atypical pronunciation - like the psychic pterodactyl. I figured having a Pterodactyl Phaser fit the theme perfectly.

Aion Emerald - Pterodactyl Phaser - 05.jpg

This enclosure once again features my wife's art in the style of medieval manuscript marginalia (say that three times fast!). Honestly, I really like the look much better than my first one - not that there's anything wrong with the first one, this is just a lot more fun, and a lot more... well... dino-like! Unfortunately I'm now out of these knobs, and need to figure out where I got them so I can get more (can anyone help ID those?!?!?!?!)

More at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/08/a-new-steggo-pedal-pterodactyl-phaser.html

Back