Pedalhacker on Vacation?

I have this PCB for a future build. I have seen our posts about it. Would you still say get the ones PedalPCB has?
Yah, unless you have the means to test them to make sure they're in spec, sounds like this particular pedal is pretty sensitive to J201's. For a couple of bucks, I'd throw them on the next PPCB order you place. I think he's got the pre-mounted ones on the adapter boards in stock.

July of 2019. I didn't test. It was my 3rd or 4th pedal build.View attachment 30627

As @MichaelW said so they have one yellow stripe or two? If its just one yellow stripe then they were definitely 1SS133. I placed my last pedal hacker order in November and he had sold out of Ma858 by then and was selling 1SS133 instead. If you have any gutshots of that build they could help. Real Panasonic MA diodes have a black mark on the cathode.

@BuddytheReow gave me a parts list and that’s the only thing on there that I don’t have and I’m going to be building a Klon and wanted to try out different diodes.

I’ve been reading on here so it seems like the type of diode doesn’t matter it’s their vf you want am I correct? If I am does that mean I can use any other diode within the same vf to get a similar sound?

Reactions: fig
I’ve been reading on here so it seems like the type of diode doesn’t matter it’s their vf you want am I correct? If I am does that mean I can use any other diode within the same vf to get a similar sound?
That's not entirely the case. Diodes are non-linear devices—meaning that they behave differently given different circumstances. For a resistor, the relationship between voltage and current is linear (i.e., the current through is proportional to the voltage across expressed in terms of resistance). This can be plotted as a line on a graph given the resistor's value.

For semiconductors (i.e., diodes here), that isn't the case. The forward voltage of a diode is a snapshot given a supplied current. The way that current changes with voltage is expressed with a V-I (voltage-current) graph or curve. You'll see how the arc of the curve is different for different types of diodes. This difference in response is experienced in differences in clipping behavior. Ge devices typically have a 'rounder' feel. This is seen when the graph is a more gradual curve rather than a sharper curve that approaches vertical with increased voltage.

That's why it's said to try out different part numbers and types. The theoretical curve doesn't exactly tell you how you'll experience the device. The best way is to try some out and see what you like.

That's not entirely the case. Diodes are non-linear devices—meaning that they behave differently given different circumstances. For a resistor, the relationship between voltage and current is linear (i.e., the current through is proportional to the voltage across expressed in terms of resistance). This can be plotted as a line on a graph given the resistor's value.

For semiconductors (i.e., diodes here), that isn't the case. The forward voltage of a diode is a snapshot given a supplied current. The way that current changes with voltage is expressed with a V-I (voltage-current) graph or curve. You'll see how the arc of the curve is different for different types of diodes. This difference in response is experienced in differences in clipping behavior. Ge devices typically have a 'rounder' feel. This is seen when the graph is a more gradual curve rather than a sharper curve that approaches vertical with increased voltage.

That's why it's said to try out different part numbers and types. The theoretical curve doesn't exactly tell you how you'll experience the device. The best way is to try some out and see what you like.
Thanks alot that just helped clear up some confusion!

As @MichaelW said so they have one yellow stripe or two? If its just one yellow stripe then they were definitely 1SS133. I placed my last pedal hacker order in November and he had sold out of Ma858 by then and was selling 1SS133 instead. If you have any gutshots of that build they could help. Real Panasonic MA diodes have a black mark on the cathode.
Photo right above. I don't see a black mark.

Last edited:
Hard to tell, they could be legit MA856's, especially if you bought them 3 years ago.

The Rohm 1SS133's are slightly longer in the body (see pic).

IMG_3351.JPG

The second pic is of an MA858, which is the same body length as the MA856 but has 2 yellow stripes.
IMG_3352.JPG

Having said all that, all 3 are great clipping diodes. I like the 1SS133's a lot and have used them in other circuits (but haven't tried them in a KOT).

As long as they sound good to you, I wouldn't sweat it.

Hard to tell, they could be legit MA856's, especially if you bought them 3 years ago.

The Rohm 1SS133's are slightly longer in the body (see pic).

View attachment 30648

The second pic is of an MA858, which is the same body length as the MA856 but has 2 yellow stripes.
View attachment 30649

Having said all that, all 3 are great clipping diodes. I like the 1SS133's a lot and have used them in other circuits (but haven't tried them in a KOT).

As long as they sound good to you, I wouldn't sweat it.
It does sound good! When I finished building the pedal I had an actual King of Tone. They were very similar, one being more treble-y than the other with everything at noon, I can't remember which. Close enough that I sold the KOT.
Would the difference between MA856 and 1SS133 effect "treble"?

It does sound good! When I finished building the pedal I had an actual King of Tone. They were very similar, one being more treble-y than the other with everything at noon, I can't remember which. Close enough that I sold the KOT.
Would the difference between MA856 and 1SS133 effect "treble"?
That's actually a pretty well documented "feature" of the full size Paragon:)

(The Mini doesn't seem to suffer from the brightness that the full size one does).

Check out this post from @ckaudioeffects.

I incorporated al his "warmer tone" mods in my Paragon build.

Edit: No I don't think the clippers in this discussion have anything to do with the brightness.

Back