Baby's First UV Prints

apc42069

Firstly, shout out to @thewintersoldier and his killer tutorials. I ended up using Illustrator, as bundling with my other CC products made more sense than not, but his general workflow tips & what to pay attention to were indelible, and super helpful.

Second, forgive the lack of gut shots. I screwed the enclosures shut, in an excited frenzy, before taking any snaps. My soldering is good enough, not perfect. I didn't use any breakout boards on the 3PDTs. All hookup wire is brown or white cloth covered. If anyone has a burning urge to peak inside anything, shoot me a note & i'll gladly oblige.

On the whole I'm happy with how these turned out. Tayda had a bit of a centering issue on a few (all that were off, printed a few mm south) - but these are all for home use, so whatever. In the future, I'll be bringing borders in a few mm to compensate for any bleed off around the edges.

White, Varnish Gloss.
IMG_3004.jpg IMG_3005.jpg

Matte Orange, Varnish Gloss.
IMG_2996.jpg IMG_2997.jpg

Blue, Varnish Gloss, Double White
IMG_3001.jpg IMG_3002.jpg

Glimmer Brown Sugar, Matte Gloss. I ran out of pink knobs..that grey boi is not a stylistic choice : )
IMG_3021.jpg IMG_3019.jpg

Metallic Light Gold, Matte Gloss.
IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3009.jpg

Firstly, shout out to @thewintersoldier and his killer tutorials. I ended up using Illustrator, as bundling with my other CC products made more sense than not, but his general workflow tips & what to pay attention to were indelible, and super helpful.

Second, forgive the lack of gut shots. I screwed the enclosures shut, in an excited frenzy, before taking any snaps. My soldering is good enough, not perfect. I didn't use any breakout boards on the 3PDTs. All hookup wire is brown or white cloth covered. If anyone has a burning urge to peak inside anything, shoot me a note & i'll gladly oblige.

On the whole I'm happy with how these turned out. Tayda had a bit of a centering issue on a few (all that were off, printed a few mm south) - but these are all for home use, so whatever. In the future, I'll be bringing borders in a few mm to compensate for any bleed off around the edges.

White, Varnish Gloss.
View attachment 30580View attachment 30582

View attachment 30583View attachment 30586

View attachment 30587View attachment 30588

Glimmer Brown Sugar, Matte Gloss. I ran out of pink knobs..that grey boi is not a stylistic choice : )
View attachment 30592View attachment 30593

View attachment 30594View attachment 30595
Oh man, TOTALLY love the 21st Century Schizoid Man box! My first exposure to British Prog at 13 years old was that album!

Oh man, TOTALLY love the 21st Century Schizoid Man box! My first exposure to British Prog at 13 years old was that album!
When I started smoking weed with my dad he was like, Ok what you gotta do is this. Put L and R speakers on the ground in the middle of the room, facing each other. Then get as high as humanly possible. Then make the room as dark as possible. Then start the A side of ITCOTKC and lie flat on your back with your head between the speakers.

…and that’s the story of my first panic attack!

Thanks man! And yes - intentionally didn’t call out which was what… or what was which.. specifically for someone to guess that one
Fripp is the big reason why the Buzzaround is my favorite fuzz circuit. While I prefer his Foxey Lady tones from the Wetton era, the live Buzzaround stuff, namely what’s on the Sailors’ Tales box set, is just profoundly good, and I personally jive with the Buzzaround and Tonebender style stuff than I do with muff styled circuits

White, Varnish Gloss.
View attachment 30580View attachment 30582

View attachment 30583View attachment 30586

View attachment 30587View attachment 30588

View attachment 30592View attachment 30593

View attachment 30594View attachment 30595
Nice looking enclosures, but "No Guts No Glory" those screws come out as easy as they go in!

Fripp is the big reason why the Buzzaround is my favorite fuzz circuit. While I prefer his Foxey Lady tones from the Wetton era, the live Buzzaround stuff, namely what’s on the Sailors’ Tales box set, is just profoundly good, and I personally jive with the Buzzaround and Tonebender style stuff than I do with muff styled circuits
Hmmm I think feel a Fripp-ish demo coming on for my Gnat Fuzz.........

Awesome job all around, especially the Crimson one. Love the use of Arnold Böcklin on the big cheese, one of my favorite typefaces that fit that vibe.

Kind of a bummer that it just takes trial and error to learn what the actual print space to the edges of an enclosure but as far as I'm concerned it's not even worth complaining about for the price. If it's any help: I keep a 1.5mm margin on all sides with 3-4mm margin at the corners.

Awesome job all around, especially the Crimson one. Love the use of Arnold Böcklin on the big cheese, one of my favorite typefaces that fit that vibe.

Kind of a bummer that it just takes trial and error to learn what the actual print space to the edges of an enclosure but as far as I'm concerned it's not even worth complaining about for the price. If it's any help: I keep a 1.5mm margin on all sides with 3-4mm margin at the corners.
Really good point which isn't mentioned often enough. My first lot had 1mm margin and "just" made it (or "just" didn't as you see fit).

A typeface reference for pedals would be awesome. I hate having to rely on Arial and Comic Sans.

I was going to ask that as well.

Is the gloss layer cracking or something? Reminds me of when I spray two coats of incompatible paints (or clear).

I've never seen anything like that happen with a powdercoated/UV printed enclosure, but I've never used a gloss layer.

I was assuming that was an intentional aesthetic under the knobs. If you zoom in the pattern looks the same under each as though it's a copied and pasted image.

thanks man- high praise coming from you!

The time I spent cycling between various Art Nouveau fonts for the cheese was...comical.

I brought the border layer in 2mm on each side, but only rounded those corners 1mm - save for the Zen which I took in 4mm (I thought it would look too "bubbly" but turned out the best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Agreed - any nits I have with Tayda are just obliterated by the value and ease of printing. Psyched to get crackin on the next batch!

Nice work! I'm wondering what's going on around the knobs of the Zen Drive?

Another lesson learned here - I wanted to test the level of detail possible.

I placed an Enso around each knob hole (lol) - was meant to look like dial markers. There was a lot of tiny color data around the edges & the gloss just squashed it. I think if I had made them bigger and left the gloss layer off that area, the effect would have worked..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.55.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.55.17 AM.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 19
Back