PSA: Test your 3PDT PCBs after putting them on!

fydo

Hello,

I just had a rather frustrating troubleshooting session and the culprit ended up that I had put way too much solder on my footswitch PCB when attaching it to the 3PDT, and it was causing the audio signal to short to ground *under the PCB* where I couldn't see it. If I had tested the soldered footswitch PCB before attaching it to my project I could have saved myself a lot of trouble.
On a happy note, that was the only problem on the build I was working on! Yay!

Anyway, that's all. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

fydo

Oh man, this whole time I thought people were just being stingy on the solder. Glad I haven’t had this issue yet but now it makes sense not to drown the lugs with solder. Because you can’t see underneath. Good job finding that short fydo.

Or just not use the switch boards at all. I’m sort of on the fence with their use. They do look tight, but for me, they don’t really save much in the way of soldering time. That and it’s waaaay easier to see potential shorts and remove the wires if necessary.

I prefer switch boards because they are easy to use, reuse, and rewire. 3pdt lugs are heat sensitive and move around easily in their epoxy, causing problems. That is a bigger threat to switch function than shorting out the lugs with excess solder on a switch pcb. The pcb holds them exactly in place while soldering. Just make sure your iron is fully up to temp, feed solder SLOWLY until you just get enough to flow completely around the lug and make that nice Hershey's kiss fillet. 3-4 seconds tops. Let each lug cool before hitting the next.

Back