SOLVED Dirt Dauber - Disappearing Octave

PangeaDestructor

I got this board all populated and on the testing platform last night, it's pretty wild. Having a weird issue though, where the octave "disappears" quickly when letting notes ring. If I let it ring, even with vibrato trying to keep it sustaining, the octave sort of turns off and I'm left with what sounds almost like my clean tone. I'm not super experienced with PLL or synth stuff, but I'm not hearing this on any of the Whoctahell demo videos, where the synth tones are sustained for much longer.

Pics attached, along with a YT short link for an audio example, any advice appreciated. Confirming the electrolytics are the correct value and the ICs are the correct type based on the screenprint. Let me know if IC voltages are helpful, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 15
Got it!

So I was watching gearmandudes video and noticed it looked like his LED turned green at one part, which confused me because the Beetronics product page states that the fuzz and octave can be used independently and this has not been my experience.

As luck would have it, I have two originals here today so I cracked them both open to investigate.

A few things were learned here.

1) The LED definitely doesn't turn green (it's a 2-color Red/Blue LED, there is no green element), it must be a video filter
2) The octave can not be used independently in either unit
3) The 2nd unit I have here has 3M3 resistors instead of the two 330K, and it has much longer sustain than the first.

Long story short, bump those two 330K resistors up to 3M3 and I think you'll be happier.

Long story short, bump those two 330K resistors up to 3M3 and I think you'll be happier.
Awesome, I'm going to try that later today hopefully and will report back.

Edit - actually, I've got 2.7M and 3.9M so may hold off until I can get to the local electronics shop for some other stuff. Regardless, will be sure to report back either way unless you think one of those would work just as well. I hate combining resistors for the correct values unless I really have to.

Back