DEMO Shut up and play yer guitar....Vol. IV (?) Fingers OD, GOTA Boost, JeT'Aime, MO Boost

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

It's been a while since I did a demo video, I've been continuing on my building tear and sometimes it's good to just stop and remember these little gadgets that I've created are meant to played and enjoyed!

Just a small sampling of my recent builds making an appearance in this demo.

Je T'Aime Preamp
Man, this simple little circuit can sound so cool! I absolutely love it. One knob, dead simple. But there's this one little spot in the rotation towards the end where the drive really changes character. It's hard to nail that exact spot and depends on how hard it's being pushed. Not sure if a different taper pot with more resolution would help. Somehow, it "printed" a little darker than I intended in the recording. The downside of mixing with headphones......

Modus Operandi Boost
This is total sleeper boost! It sounded particularly good pushing the JeT'aime.

Guardians of the Analog LPB-1 Power Boost
Latest addition, thanks to @thewintersoldier! Gotta have one of these in the collection, sounded really good pushing the Fingers and "opening it up" a bit.

Fingers Discrete Overdrive
What is it? A drive with discretion? A YATS? Meant only for guitar players with ACTUAL FINGERS? I dunno, but it sounds great! Another great low gain, not too transparent drive.

Gravitation Reverb
Hydra Delay
Same settings on both guitar tracks. Sitting in my Active Buffered Loop
General Tso's Compressor on both guitar tracks at the top of the signal chain.

Clean amp model on my Apollo Twin X.
2x12 Cab IR

Yes, this is a Steely Dan tune.....so I think @giovanni and @Bricksnbeatles might be the only ones that watch this demo hahaha.

I've always loved this groove and the chord progression is so much fun to jam over.
Deceptively simple. Basically a blues in A with altered changes. The altered changes are what keeps the groove interesting and the twists and turns
keep you on your toes playing over the changes.

The original album version was played by none other than Mr. Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo himself, Rick Derringer, who made quite a few appearances as a side man on many Steely Dan and Donald Fagen albums.

Nice! Got to get me an LPB boost.. After your Fingers post, I was pushing a 35% Duocast into a 50% Fingers today and really enjoying it. I can't pull off Steely Dan though! Tasty

It's been a while since I did a demo video, I've been continuing on my building tear and sometimes it's good to just stop and remember these little gadgets that I've created are meant to played and enjoyed!

Just a small sampling of my recent builds making an appearance in this demo.

Je T'Aime Preamp
Man, this simple little circuit can sound so cool! I absolutely love it. One knob, dead simple. But there's this one little spot in the rotation towards the end where the drive really changes character. It's hard to nail that exact spot and depends on how hard it's being pushed. Not sure if a different taper pot with more resolution would help. Somehow, it "printed" a little darker than I intended in the recording. The downside of mixing with headphones......

Modus Operandi Boost
This is total sleeper boost! It sounded particularly good pushing the JeT'aime.

Guardians of the Analog LPB-1 Power Boost
Latest addition, thanks to @thewintersoldier! Gotta have one of these in the collection, sounded really good pushing the Fingers and "opening it up" a bit.

Fingers Discrete Overdrive
What is it? A drive with discretion? A YATS? Meant only for guitar players with ACTUAL FINGERS? I dunno, but it sounds great! Another great low gain, not too transparent drive.

Gravitation Reverb
Hydra Delay
Same settings on both guitar tracks. Sitting in my Active Buffered Loop
General Tso's Compressor on both guitar tracks at the top of the signal chain.

Clean amp model on my Apollo Twin X.
2x12 Cab IR

Yes, this is a Steely Dan tune.....so I think @giovanni and @Bricksnbeatles might be the only ones that watch this demo hahaha.

I've always loved this groove and the chord progression is so much fun to jam over.
Deceptively simple. Basically a blues in A with altered changes. The altered changes are what keeps the groove interesting and the twists and turns
keep you on your toes playing over the changes.

The original album version was played by none other than Mr. Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo himself, Rick Derringer, who made quite a few appearances as a side man on many Steely Dan and Donald Fagen albums.

Great work, @MichaelW, as ever. Not to mention, a Dan classic with ‘expensive’ chords to boot.

Sounds fantastic, Michael! Great tones and great playing in your interpretation of an underrated gem of the Becker/Fagen songbook!
Just for the record, I was jamming to SD before there was a SD...you manifest the vibe very well! :love:
Oh @fig, well don’t you sound to be an eminent hipster right now 😉
Where were you on the morning of April 7th, 1968?

Sounds fantastic, Michael! Great tones and great playing in your interpretation of an underrated gem of the Becker/Fagen songbook!

Oh @fig, well don’t you sound to be an eminent hipster right now 😉
Where were you on the morning of April 7th, 1968?
Boca Raton. Three days earlier MLK had been assassinated.

Boca Raton. Three days earlier MLK had been assassinated.
And while in Palm Springs, did you make any long-distance calls? Perhaps an anonymous tip to a Mr. George Gordon Liddy, Duchess County prosecutor? Were you or were you not in possession of incriminating information to be used against 44 doped-up beatnik students at the Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson?

And while in Palm Springs, did you make any long-distance calls? Perhaps an anonymous tip to a Mr. George Gordon Liddy, Duchess County prosecutor? Were you or were you not in possession of incriminating information to be used against 44 doped-up beatnik students at the Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson?
It’s my Oleander allergy you see..

I have to admit I hate steely Dan. But excellent demo well done sir.
Thank you. It's really more about showcasing the pedal sounds than the tune choice or my questionable improvisational chops, and I'm glad you can appreciate that! Steely Dan is not everyones cup of tea. But then, people think I'm weird because I hate the Doors....:p

Back