Would a Benson Preamp explode if you used a 1M bass pot?

6rioti.jpg

If I was to build a Benson Preamp with a 1M bass pot, what would it sound like before it blew up? Less bassy? More bassy? Strangely attractive to dogs?

The maximum range of the Bass control will be limited to Noon compared to the stock value, so more Bass.

I can't recall how usable the entire range of rotation was on the original.

There’s an alternate version of the Benson Preamp circuit that I’ve yet to try, but it eliminates the hard to find pot values. It should supposedly give a wider bass control while using only a 250k pot (among other changes) Been meaning to make the alternate BOM for it, but I want to wait until I can verify it and compare it to the stock circuit before I “endorse” it. Hopefully son of Ben PCBs are in stock next time I order so I can give it a try.

Look I only asked because I have children. Well, child. I can't just go crazy trying various pot values willy-nilly. And now I realise I have just sparked a new avenue of hilarity by saying "pot values"...

It's hard being a responsible adult.

Well I have an idea which may help me use a B1M pot.... What about if I put a 470K resistor between the intersection of Drive 3, C3, C4 and Bass 3? In other words I'd lose the lowest 1/4 and the highest 1/4 of the the 2M pots range. Then if I needed more bass or less bass I could adjust the value of the 470K resistor. Would that work?

Back