What plectrum does everyone use?

Dunlop purple tortex. I've had some of them for at least 20 years. They're mostly jacked up from string scrapes but I still use them. In fact in a pinch I bet I could cut a loaf of bread with half of them.

For strumming acoustic I like something in the.70-80 range green and yellow tortex from dunlop come to mind, also Herco 75's, for electric I like Jazz III's, but I don't like the textured ones also like V-picks small pointed and their Screamers, when I'm strumming chords I generally use the heel of the pick as opposed to the tip

s966249101228564916_p156_i1_w912.jpeg

What can I say, I respect the craft of graphic design.

I like the newer Dunlop even grippier grey 88s. I've used Dunlop grey 88s for years. I do have a few 1.00s floating around and somehow end up using them until I realise - but it makes little difference. I'm surprised how many here play grey 88s. For me they are the perfect balance between floppy and stiff (that's what she said...)

Love trying new picks.. Just got those Max Grip 88's in today in fact. They have quite the grip, I like them but need to get used to them. Probably the strongest grip I've tried.

My pick autobiography for many years was Jazz IIIs or Brains. Recently got into Flows .73 .88 1.14, which I really like but they need a few minutes to warm up, they are a little slippery at first for me. These are my main ones.
20210724_184425.jpg

I’m using BlueChip picks (https://bluechippick.net/), have been using Jazz III since I studied guitar before and after 1989 and recently moved to the Dunlop Rabea flow picks but these last much less long than the BlueChips. Bluechips sound close(r) to the sound of a finger but sound of a pick is personal and somewhat subjective as well. ;)

And it’s good to use your fingers too:

Last edited:
I’m using BlueChip picks (https://bluechippick.net/), have been using Jazz III since I studied guitar before and until 1989 and recently moved to the Dunlop Rabea flow picks but these last much less long then the BlueChips. Bluechips sound close(r) to the sound of a finger but sound of a pick is personal and somewhat subjective as well. ;)

Harry, you continue to amaze me with your playing. Very Holdsworth-esque chord voicings and real ligament stretchers....

Celluloid picks, usually .71mm for guitar. Thicker ones for bass and baritone. Cheap and colourful.

Attachments

• Sd7258df783bd4da7b057f0f87863be2b9.jpg
    Sd7258df783bd4da7b057f0f87863be2b9.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3
Harry, you continue to amaze me with your playing. Very Holdsworth-esque chord voicings and real ligament stretchers....
Thanks bro! Your recent MBP memoryman build also amazed me! Looking forward to your stereo version of it!

I’m using BlueChip picks (https://bluechippick.net/), have been using Jazz III since I studied guitar before and until 1989 and recently moved to the Dunlop Rabea flow picks but these last much less long then the BlueChips. Bluechips sound close(r) to the sound of a finger but sound of a pick is personal and somewhat subjective as well. ;)

My arthritis is laughing at me for picturing myself playing those Vulcan mind-meld chords.

Excellence!

Tortex 0.50mm (the red ones) . . . . sometimes with a small glass jar for some slide work . . . .

The wooden box is for . . . . . um . . . . . other purposes.
SlideBottle_and_Pick.jpg

Their shark fin is nice too.

Fender tort medium.

I'm trying to improve my tremolo picking and I noticed thinner picks work better for me, especially the nylon ones. Too bad they feel weird and they slip out of my hand, even the textured ones.

My picking sucks!

Are there any deep cut Ultex / Ultem (PEI) picks out there? Ultem jazz iii's are pretty much my ride or die but I haven't come across many other picks in the same material from other brands

Tortex Jazz III or Flow. I used to be a standard guy, but the pointed tip gives a lot more control for my playing style.

I'll never understand how yall play with picks thinner than 1.0mm lmao

I simply can't and won't do it. No disrespect that's just me. It makes sense to me for acoustic guitar strumming but not electric

Back