Sometimes Meeting Strangers on the Internet is Good

jwyles90

This is Sometimes Meeting Strangers on the Internet is Good. I did this build in a trade with someone on Reddit for a Tape Delay and a Fuzz. On one side is a Benson Preamp clone, and then on the other side is a SmallSound/BigSound Mini clone, with a switch to choose which order the two effects stack into one another. This was a super fun (and slightly challenging) project, since the SS/BS clone needed to be done on Vero (which is only my 2nd time doing it) and the order switching was something I’ve never done before. It turned out great, and the two stacked into each other can get some really killer, heavy sounds. The SS/BS also includes a bias knob (which I’m always wanting more of), so all in all this was a crazy and versatile build. I was almost sad to see it go, but I’ll probably end up doing another SS/BS on its own since it was such a cool sounding drive.
I asked if he wanted any artwork or anything like that on the enclosure, and he just wanted it bare. I was slightly bummed, as there’s so much space for art on the 1590dd’s, but to each their own!

Any thoughts, comments, or tips are greatly appreciated! 240E0203-7E67-42E2-8870-24F23E443614.jpeg C4063D4D-E34D-4012-A5F9-BDFCA47CEDB6.jpeg

Nice work! And a clever name too. I’ve been interested in the Small Sounds and may have to try one. It’s odd about the desire for a bare enclosure, but it is very “businesslike.”

Not sure if I’d call this a tip, because I think it come down to user preferences, but on the few dual pedals I’ve made, I’ll mount the toggle sideways, so it points in the direction of signal flow, if that makes sense.

If you think about making a standalone ss/bg mini
what about mashing up the F* overdrive and the mini?
Ie adding the crackle function and the lower gain toggle to the mini circuit (as my understanding is that the mini is based on the F* overdrive high gain)

I would definitely get one (or just a mini really) from you

Last edited:
If you think about making a standalone ss/bg mini
what about mashing up the F* overdrive and the mini?
Ie adding the crackle function and the lower gain toggle to the mini circuit (as my understanding is that the mini is based on the F* overdrive high gain)

I would definitely get one (or just a mini really) from you
I love that idea!

Back